Does this sound like a tiger lotus bulb?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Ajm200, 6 Mar 2010.

1. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

Hi.

Just aquired what I suspect is a tiger lotus bulb. LFS were clearing out the plant tank and found a loose bulb. They gave it to me as I was in buying plants and they didn't recognise it.

It's about the size of a hazelnut. Dark brown and shiny like a conker and slight soft. Definately a bulb as it has two tiny shoots sprouting from it. What do you think?

Can't post a photo as I have no pc again. Going to plant it in my new tank and see what happens as I've heard they are fairly hardy

Thanks
    Amanda

2. Gill

Gill Member

THat does sound like a Lotus Bulb, The Shoots should be red

3. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

Thanks for such a quick reply. The larger shoot does look reddish. I hope it is a lotus :)

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

It's either going to be a lily or an aponogeton :)

5. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

Oooo exciting :D

6. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aquascaper

I had a huge tiger lotus in my last layout. when i rescaped the tank pulled out all the plants and roots too, as any big lotus seed i found. few weeks ago i was suprised as a new lotus grew up suddenly in the tank. i bet this was because of the spring, but was suprising as there was no big seed in the soil.

4366996657_d035ec6f38.jpg

i had to pull this out as looked strange in the full green NA style tank :D and i gave it to my friend. but when we pulled out the plant we've seen a small seed at the end of the root. just like in the size you mentioned above.

7. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

Can see that looking a bit odd in your new setup. :). Good to hear it is that hard to kill off. Might have a chance of surviving my newbie mistakes.

Thanks everyone!

8. Ajm200

Ajm200 Member

It is a tiger lotus bulb. It now has two red leaves like those in the photo that Viktor posted.