Doing a HC carpet right now

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by the Guru!, 7 Sep 2008.

1. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

Whats the best way 2 plant this HC ? im splitting it down as i speak.

Is it best to put it in little clumps about the size of a 50p ? or smaller? or bigger? wide apart stem by stem?

Thanks.

2. JamesM

JamesM Member

Stem by stem for best results and quick cover.

Small 1p size clumps if you can't be bothered :p

3. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

ill try stem by stem, about 1mm apart?

3 pots to do :(

4. JamesM

JamesM Member

It doesn't need to be that close, but if you have the hc, and the patience, go for it.

Look through some journals to see how others have done it. Here's Little Mountain being planted up (from the featured scape page).

http://www.ukaps.org/images/featured-tank/image-5.jpg

5. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

I think ill put it a little bit closer then that, havin to take 5 at the min and try and streighten this big hump on my back :lol:

6. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

I dont seem to have done too bad a job of that, altho it will probly die in a few days lol :)

Still got 2 full pots left aswell.

7. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

Well, every time i look at my tank i see a new bit of it floating! :twisted:

Took out my gourami aswell as it was pulling at it. Alot of crap seems to be clinging onto it aswell, wich cant be good!

8. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Hi mate, how big is the tank? I did a 60 x 30 x 30 carpet and used 7 pots and took almost 2 days. It was well worth it itll my boss ruined it with loaches and all kinds :twisted:
    The more you add the faster it will carpet.
    Is it a brand new substrate? if not then no doubt you have a little to much detritus in the substrate and yes, it isn't a good thing.
    You will get a load of "floaters" lol but just put them back in the substrate. Patients is the key with HC, i've just ripped out the "little mountain" HC and i've replanted it and it isn't moving as fast as i'd like. I've heard it NO3 hungry so you can adjust your dosing accordingly.
    HTH
    Dan

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

Man, you guys are patient. I really couldn't be bothered to plant stem by stem. I just get clumps of about 2p in size and just push into the substrate. Can normally do the whole width of my 4 footer in less than 10 minutes. After a month it's all filled in and soon after needs redoing again.

James

10. the Guru!

the Guru! Member

Its a 90ltr 30 x 15 x 12

Nah, the substrate has been in for about 6 month.
    __

Ive got a brand new FLUVAL 305 here to hook up after i have a shower, hope this might help a bit.