• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DOOA "nano pond" 2.0 - UG and re-scape

This is great.
I have had a 45F on a shelf for a year or so, to replace my 12 L windowsill tank; been planning something a bit like this, although with a small HOB. Maybe I should get to it.

The windowsill ran great for a while no tech, but got a lot of filamentous algae come spring. Ferts and a bit of circulation took care of that + the Hyalella likes cavorting in the floater free Eheim skimmer. Have also added a small Leddy light since, but plantwise that tank is trash heap...

So cool, can I ask, have you ever added additional fertiliser since adding the aqua soil or has it grown on that for the duration?
Do you just trim the plants or remove and replant?
I’m really going to have to do one of these.....
Inspired!
:D

Still looking great as said by others u still have shrimp in there or no livestock ?

Thanks for the update

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

So cool, can I ask, have you ever added additional fertiliser since adding the aqua soil or has it grown on that for the duration?
Do you just trim the plants or remove and replant?
I’m really going to have to do one of these.....
Inspired!
:D

No additional ferts added. I've added some root tabs twice over the one and a half year duration the soil been going. A bit of trimming is required, especially eleocharis montevidensis seems to spread, so I just pull it or cut it all the way to substrate level where I don't want it :)

Still looking great as said by others u still have shrimp in there or no livestock ?

Thanks for the update

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

There's almost 10 chili rasboras whose been living there for the total duration of one and a half year. Breeding colony of RCS

A look behind the scenes. This soil has been going and growing for almost 1,5 year, no additional ferts needed. Tropica root tabs were added during the minor re-scape recently tho.
20200411_145033.jpg
20200411_143417.jpg
20200411_145050.jpg

I like it a lot! The grass at the back especially ...amazing! It’s crazy how the Monte Carlo grew in between the grass strands and out of the tank.
Well done!

I like it a lot! The grass at the back especially ...amazing! It’s crazy how the Monte Carlo grew in between the grass strands and out of the tank.
Well done!

MC is just one of those bulletproof plants - grows with without light, same goes for Co2, it grows really slow in this setup though, which is nice for maintenance

Really nice mate!

but you should really do an favor to those borara by putting them in your 60p. :)

Had some in my 60 before and they do not appreciate flow AT ALL, so this no filter setup have had no deaths, or diseases for 1,5 year thus far :)

well, it’s like putting gold fish in a 40liters tank, they may survive for an long time with good maintenance...but we all know this isn’t right ;)

i mean as far as I know, borara don’t live in puddle of water , even if yours looks very healthy:)

well, it’s like putting gold fish in a 40liters tank, they may survive for an long time with good maintenance...but we all know this isn’t right ;)

i mean as far as I know, borara don’t live in puddle of water , even if yours looks very healthy:)

Sure, what species wouldnt benefit from having more room, I won't pretend otherwise.

That being said, they do inhabit very shallow puddles or slow moving creeks out in the wild
20200613_183857.jpg

Of course but don’t forget that there is an wet season in which those natural ponds are full of water too. ;)
I mean your tank is 6 liters of water, maybe 4liters with the hardscape, I wouldn’t even put an betta in this. No offense, I just think about fishes too even if I know that Ada staff doesn’t care and put 6 to 8 fishes in 5liters tank :(

Back