• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Dosing amounts, nickel sulfate vs ammonium nickel sulfate

JacksonL

I am hoping someone can give me a quick science lesson so I can work out how much ammonium nickel sulfate to put in my micros.
The IFC calculator has nickel sulfate in it, but I assume there is less nickel per gram in my ammonium nickel sulfate, so I am wondering how to work out what percentage of the weight in each substance is nickel so I may work out a multiplier to convert the weight the calculator tells me to add into the amount I actually need to add.
thanks in advance

Ria95

Assuming you mean the hexahydrate version of ammonium nickel sulfate and heptahydrate version of nickel sulfate, multiply the result for NiSO4*7H2O by 1.4
For hexahydrate versions for both, multiply the result for NiSO4*6H2O by 1.5

Last edited:

Happi

@JacksonL
Are you referring to (NH4)2Ni(SO4)2·6H2O ?

JacksonL

Are you using RO water and looking to remineralise the water column? If not, you may not need any nickel at all. APF-UK micros have worked fine for me and are:
  • Fe 8.2% (EDTA Chelated)
  • Mn 1.82% (EDTA Chelated)
  • Zn 1.16% (EDTA Chelated)
  • B 1.05%
  • Cu 0.23% (EDTA Chelated)
  • Mo 0.15%
I am using RO. I’m also dosing urea and even though I have read conflicting information on the need for nickel I am looking to play it safe and add trace amounts

_Maq_

Nickel was quite late to get added to the list of essential nutrients. The reason? It is very difficult - even in laboratory conditions - to execute biological tests while ensuring that no nickel is present.
Plants' demand for nickel is microscopic. Quite a lot of nickel is in pollen. Are you sure no pollen grains find their way into your tank?
Maybe I'd rather tell it straight: It is highly unlikely that nickel deficiency would ever occur in any tank.