• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing as soon as planted?

Mark.A

I'm going to be dosing TNC Complete and EasyCarbo, would it be best to start dosing either / both as soon as I have planted?

I'll be dosing daily with dosing pumps if it makes any difference.

I've set up two tanks now using the same products as you

One I dosed from the start (recommended dosing levels for TNC Complete as per aquarium gardens, being 5ml per 50 litres per day, not as per the bottle. Carbo as per the bottle) and the other I didn't start dosing until week 3-4

Overall there wasn't too much difference to be completely honest so entirely up to you

Algae on the tank I dosed was I'd say less than the tank I waited to dose, but not by much, with my theory being that the plants took hold quicker with the dosing so out competed it. It was clear on the tank that I didn't dose how the plants almost immediately picked up as soon as I started dosing though

If I were to do it again I'd dose from the start but again not a necessity

The above assumes you follow the aquarium gardens water change method from the start (week 1, 50% water changes every day, week 2 50% every other day, week 3 50% every 3rd day, week 4 50% every 4th day, week 5 onwards 50% weekly - weeks 1-4 don't be afraid to do 50-80% changes each time)

Both of my tanks can be seen here (bottom of page 10 the tank dosed from the start and page 11 tank dosed later)

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/from-this-to-this.12636/page-10

The above assumes you follow the aquarium gardens water change method from the start (week 1, 50% water changes every day, week 2 50% every other day, week 3 50% every 3rd day, week 4 50% every 4th day, week 5 onwards 50% weekly - weeks 1-4 don't be afraid to do 50-80% changes each time)
Just wondering what the aquarium gardens water change method is all about? Why would you need to change 50% of the water every day?

To reduce the ammonia spike, remove toxins to reduce change of algae out break as plants may die back a bit during the transmission to growing under water, plus they want their tanks looking the best at all times, if they did have an algae boom it wouldn't look good in the showroom so better to overdo it.

Just wondering what the aquarium gardens water change method is all about? Why would you need to change 50% of the water every day?

I followed it and both tanks worked really well. What more can I say, other than as per the above and what Zeus says

Look at my most recent tank and how young that is. Other than the usual diatoms bloom at about week 3 the tank is almost perfect from a lack of algae point of view

Both of my tanks can be seen here (bottom of page 10 the tank dosed from the start and page 11 tank dosed later)
Hi, your tank on page 10 is beautiful!
Your WC advice above to Mark, would that be for a new set up only? I'm rescaping my tank soon (low tech) all new hardscape and plants. Is this something i should consider?
Tanks been running around 18 months
Cheers

Hi, your tank on page 10 is beautiful!
Your WC advice above to Mark, would that be for a new set up only? I'm rescaping my tank soon (low tech) all new hardscape and plants. Is this something i should consider?
Tanks been running around 18 months
Cheers

Thanks. I'm no expert in respect of watch changes and rescapes but if it were me I'd follow the same. Other than time big water changes can't hurt and if you set yourself up with the right equipment they can be done quickly. For example I have a 12 metre hose with a prefilter (see link) which i use to drain and refill the tank. I can do a quick water out water in change in about 10 mins if I need to

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cleaning-tanks-with-shrimp-in-them.59916/#post-587739

Other than time big water changes can't hurt

That's true and luckily time is what i seem to have quite a lot of lately! I have an FX4 so i drain the tank from the WC valve on the filter itself then refill with a hose from the mixer tap. I change about 170 litres at a time (50%) which probably takes about half an hour so not too bad
Thanks for the link though i like the home made pipework, i'd like to do the same for refilling the tank. I use my old intake basket with the hose wedged in the tube but it's not secure enough for my liking.
Cheers

Back