• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing calculation please

H..

I have got my hands on some micro nutrients, and need help to calculate the correct dosage to aply this fert, particuly for Fe in ppm, and also if there will be high/low dosage of other micronutrients.

B 0,33%
Cu 0,4%
Fe 1,7%
Mn 0,84%
Mo 0,062%
Zn 0,24%

H

Hi all,
You need to choose a level of iron you are aiming for and then work out from there how much of the other micro-nutrients that provides.

I'm going to choose 0.5 ppm Fe, this is towards the top range of what you are going to need. I'm also going to assume your aquarium is 100 litres to make the calculation a bit more straight forward.

If you have ten gram of micro-nutrient mix, you have 0.17g of iron (Fe) (10 x 1.7%), which is 170 mg and milligrams per litre are equivalent to ppm.

So that is 170ppm in one litre, we have a 100 litre aquarium so it is 1.7 ppm.

We want 0.5 ppm, so that is 1.7/0.5 = 3.4g of your micro-element mix supplies 0.5 ppm Fe. You then use the same calculation, but starting with 3.4g of trace mix and using the percentage of the other elements to work out ppm.

Your mix has quite a lot of copper (Cu) and zinc (Zn), so I wouldn't use it as a primary iron source (you will be adding more of these elements than you would probably want), I'd add iron additionally as FeEDTA etc.

cheers Darrel

thanks dw1305.

I will dose Fe in 0,1ppm. That will make it: 3,4 / 5 =0,68 gram per 100 liter.
Now that is very small measurments.

am i correct out here if I add 34 gram, to an 500ml bottle and from here add 10ml per 100liter. it should last to an 5000liter dosage and 0,1ppmFe.

H

Hi all,
I will dose Fe in 0,1ppm. That will make it: 3,4 / 5 =0,68 gram per 100 liter.
Yes.
am i correct out here if I add 34 gram, to an 500ml bottle and from here add 10ml per 100liter. it should last to an 5000liter dosage and 0,1ppmFe.
Yes. Back into the powers of 10. Multiply both values by 2 and that gives you 68g in a litre, 10mL is a 1/100 of a litre, divide 68g by 100 and a 10mL dose contains 0.68g.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel.

yhou say copper and zink is a bit high, how much higher are we talking about? 2x, 4x, 8x over an recommended value. I do have some neocaridina shrimps in my tanks.

Cheers

H

Back