• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Error or not ?

nigel bentley

After 4 months set up of my planted tank.,i believe I have made a fundamental mistake.

I have been dosing Macro and Micronutrients every day rate than alternative.The Jbl instructions do not suggest I alternate.Plants are growing quite well apart from a little algae.

Parameters are currently ph 8 in morning, ph7 when lights on. I'm introducing co2 31/2 hours before lights on. End of light period ph is around 6.9.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ppm

I do a 30% water change every Sunday. I have 2 external Eheim filters that I clean every 4 months (not at the same time obviously)

Question is do I keep with my current regime or try alternating.

Thanks in advance
Nigel

I’d suggest bigger water changes, at least 50% weekly.
Thanks for your response. I hadn't really considered increasing water change. Think this maybe a good idea as I would like to try and decrease starting pH of 8. My tap water is ph7 neutral as to be expected. Cheers mate

The other thing worth a look at IMO, is your local water report, Just google your supplier, enter your postcode and post the report with full details ;)

My tapwater has 20-30ppm NO3 in it, knowing that I can adjust the NO3 I add to my tank, I even adjusted the macro and micro days to allow for my tapwater adding 10-15ppm NO3 with a 50% WC

The other thing worth a look at IMO, is your local water report, Just google your supplier, enter your postcode and post the report with full details ;)

My tapwater has 20-30ppm NO3 in it, knowing that I can adjust the NO3 I add to my tank, I even adjusted the macro and micro days to allow for my tapwater adding 10-15ppm NO3 with a 50% WC

Hi Zeus,

I have attached my local water report, although I admit it's a little to much for my small head to take in:). I also tested the nitrate out of my tap this morning and I would say its slightly higher than that in my tank.

Started to alternate micro and macros. The Macro I am currently using is JbL NPK which consists of nitrate, phosporous and potassium. I do have a small quantity of fish which I believe help produce nitrate.

These are 3 x tiger barbs, 3 x leopard danios, 12 x cardinal tetras, 1 pearl gourami and 5 nerite snails. I may add a few small cory fish..

One thing I have learnt from various replies, the 30% water I have always changed isn't enough. I guess previously when i get just kept fish and didn't add any nutrients it may have sufficed.

As always, thanks for your kind help.

Nigel

Attachments

• L18_2019 (1).pdf
    98 KB · Views: 103
although I admit it's a little to much for my small head to take in

NP happy to help :thumbup:

The Macro I am currently using is JbL NPK

Dont have that added on Fert calculator - will get it added :thumbup:

So 30% WC adds
1590487226184.png

50% WC adds

1590487529525.png

So with a 50% WC youwill dosed 12ppm NO3 ;), hence I no longer dose Macros after WC, I dose Micros then Macros rinse repeat dosing Micros 4 days a week 75ml and Macros 3 days a week 100ml. Even tallored the NO3 I add to macro mix so I account for the NO3 in tap water, if plants start to look NO3 defeicent I will add a bitmore NO3 to mix ;)

NP happy to help :thumbup:

Dont have that added on Fert calculator - will get it added :thumbup:

So 30% WC adds
View attachment 149215

50% WC adds

View attachment 149216

So with a 50% WC youwill dosed 12ppm NO3 ;), hence I no longer dose Macros after WC, I dose Micros then Macros rinse repeat dosing Micros 4 days a week 75ml and Macros 3 days a week 100ml. Even tallored the NO3 I add to macro mix so I account for the NO3 in tap water, if plants start to look NO3 defeicent I will add a bitmore NO3 to mix ;)
Thanks Zeus,
So if I do a water change on a Sunday then dose Micro, then Macro Monday, micro Tuesday,. Macro Wednesday etc, this is the way to do it?
P. S My water seems nearly as hard as my mother in law:p
Thanks again
Nigel

So if I do a water change on a Sunday then dose Micro, then Macro Monday, micro Tuesday,. Macro Wednesday etc, this is the way to do it?

Well thats what I have been doing for last few months, even started dry dosing some extra Mg an K after water change to see if having a Ca, Mg, K ratio closer to the 4:1:0.5 ratios helps. My tapwater has 142mg Ca and 5.5mg Mg!!

Thanks for all your help Zeus, I do get a little stuck but this has helped me tremendously.

Regards
Nigel :)

Thanks your welcome :D

If you would like the dry salts mass to add after WC to give it a 'Pseudo Seachem Equilibrium' dose, just post your tank size and I'll run it though my Fert Calculator for you. You already have the salts to do it in your APFUK starter kit ;)

To be honest, I haven't yet purchased from Apfuk, I have been buying the Jbl micro and macro.

I realise the cost implications and it is something I will look into seriously once I have more experience.

I had a look on their website and it seems to explain what to and how much to mix, so eventually I will go down this route.

Thanks again Zeus

I realise the cost implications and it is something I will look into seriously once I have more experience.

Makes sense as making your own can be tricky at first, by which time the next fert calculator will be out and doing a JBL clone Mix should be dead easy ;)

Had another look and they sell a starter kit which I think I shall buy.
Really a win win situation. Cheaper, more fun and having watched their video, it's so much clearer than Jbl instructions.

I will probably start with their recipe rather than try to replicate Jbl. I probably have a months worth of Jbl. Would I be wrong in just finishing Jbl then starting Apfuk following day onwards?

Thanks
Nigel

Back