• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Flourish Excel

Midnight

Hi
Even after increasing CO2 until the drop checker turned a yellow/green colour BBA remained an issue in my 325 ltr tank. So I have been adding Flourish Excel at twice the daily recommended dose for about a week now. Certainly the BBA is in decline but the Vallis plants, particularly the twisted variety are looking very jaded indeed.

I'm not sure if this is caused by the Excel or by the increased PH - now 6.3 according to the control. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if I am adding too much Excel?

If you do a search in this forum you will notice that everyone says that Excel does kills most varieties of Vallis.
I am not sure if EasyCarbo does as I never had vallis.

Midnight said:
Hi

I'm not sure if this is caused by the Excel or by the increased PH - now 6.3 according to the control. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if I am adding too much Excel?

Adding CO2 will decrease pH, not raise it ;)

My money's on the Excel causing the damage - but like LD, I've never had Vallisneria and Excel/Easycarbo in the same tank (in fact haven't ever used Excel - sounds too frightening to me!)

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
My money's on the Excel causing the damage - but like LD, I've never had Vallisneria and Excel/Easycarbo in the same tank (in fact haven't ever used Excel - sounds too frightening to me!)

ive never had a problem with the vallis/ excel/easycarbo thing. even when overdosing. it did see off my riccia though.

saintly said:
ive never had a problem with the vallis/ excel/easycarbo thing. even when overdosing. it did see off my riccia though.
Cheers Saintly. I was wondering wether to just replace the Vallis with something else or ease back the Excel - if you have managed to keep vallis with Excel I will try just reducing the dosage for now.

Since ceg4048 put me straight on CO2 I am rather hoping the Excel won't be required after I get rid of the last few bits of BBA.

Excel certainly works!

Midnight said:
Since ceg4048 put me straight on CO2 I am rather hoping the Excel won't be required after I get rid of the last few bits of BBA.

Excel certainly works!

yes, clives right. its ok dosing excel to rid you of your algae, but you need to get to the root of the problem correct dosing should eliminate the need for heavy excel dosing.

Back