• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing iron for red root floaters!

DD1880

90A6881B-3417-4F3B-BAF6-AF17897EB936.jpeg
0AC48CDF-E90B-44E8-81EB-F478D725BADB.jpeg
I just bought some seachem iron and was wondering what the best dosage would be for my red root floaters? I’ve had them for a few months and they’ve grown to cover the top but are still green and flat! I have a 29 gallon with a big java fern and Anubis also. I know I dose 3 threads high on the cap which comes to about 3ml but how often and what time of day should I do this for the floaters to best use it? Thank for any help!

This is how much they cover!

Attachments

• 1FFB9D14-0566-4409-83D3-D0267765F0B6.jpeg
    1FFB9D14-0566-4409-83D3-D0267765F0B6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 192
Thanks! So adding iron on top of Nilocg thrive is a bad idea? Haha

I have been playing around with these and no amount of iron will make a difference. Its all about light intensity. In the picture the green floaters have been grown out in my tank under LED and the reds have been sat outside in my small daphnia tank in full sunlight. You can see the indoor ones starting to colour up and this is only after a day in natural sunlight.
IMG_20190731_100935.jpg

Hi all,
Its all about light intensity.
Should I raise the light back up to 50% when I dose three times a week now?
The plants look pretty healthy, so the level of fertiliser is probably about right.

I'd agree with @fleetEWD , I'd definitely up the light level until they begin to turn red.

If you want really red leaves you need to find the "sweet spot" where the plants are under high light, but slightly nitrogen deficient. Have a look at
<"What is the secret of keeping red...">.

cheers Darrel

I have been playing around with these and no amount of iron will make a difference. Its all about light intensity. In the picture the green floaters have been grown out in my tank under LED and the reds have been sat outside in my small daphnia tank in full sunlight. You can see the indoor ones starting to colour up and this is only after a day in natural sunlight.
View attachment 126289
What kind of LED and what is the intensity set at? Thanks for the info!

Do you think my Chihiros rgb 60 will be bright enough to get the reds? It looks like my local lfs that I bought them from are really red and under a fluval 2.0 or 3.0. Couldn’t tell for sure. I ask what they dosed and they said a all in one fert and iron. That’s why I wasted the money and bought iron yesterday haha!

Also I don’t know if you can see the one spot where I won’t have floaters cause I blocked it with fishing line because of the filter outflow. Obviously once I raise the light that spot won’t be blocked or shaded. Will I have a algae problem there even if I raise the light say 5% per week? I already get algae the day I dose ferts on the glass but after a day of scraping it off it usually doesn’t come back till I dose again! Thanks again everyone I’m new to this plant and ferts thing!

These were predominantly lighted by 2 T5''s about 30-50 cm above the watersurface as far as i can remember .
Ok thanks! I would hope my Chihiros rgb 60 is enough light to get that color haha!

Back