• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing My Aquarium

dkm

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

My aquarium has been set up approx 10weeks. It is 400L using ADA aquasoil amazonian with power sand special base. Good circulation (everything swaying), drop checker in the yellow (presurised CO2). Lighting is approx 2.5wpg. No fish or inverts.

Right my V. Nana and redmoor root wood has been attacked seriously by Staghorn Algae. I have been pulling it out and seems a tiny bit better.

My dosing at present is tpn 15ml/day and easycarbo 7ml a day.
My nitrate levels has dropped to 2! And I have notice some of the V. nana leaves turning yellow but no pin holes.

Should I alter my dosing. I was thinking changing to TPN+. If so... How much would you recommend? Should I do it gradually?
Should I stop easycarbo (just heard V. Nana does not like it)? Is this true?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

400 liters needs a lot of TPN+, and yes you should change to TPN+, TPN is only a trace mix. The EasyCarbo will kill most varieties of Vallis, but if your drop checker is on Yellow you don't need it.

Never owned a tank this large, but for my 125 liter tank I used to dose about 10ml of TPN+ and 10ml of EC every day to get the best results in a heavy planted tank.

Your best bet would be to go the dry salts route, you will save a lot of money on ferts, you can also reduce the lighting wattage and also photo period, plants will grow slower but you get some breathing room in there and less maintenance which can't be bad on a tank that size.

Lets see if someone with more experiences on tanks this size can give any extra input.

Thanks LondonDragon for the advice.

Yeah it could get expensive using tpn+ but got quite a bit at the moment. So probably start with 20ml of tpn+, knock the easycarbo on the head and see how it goes. When my tpn+ starts getting low will decide on what fert to use.

Cheers

Dave

Back