• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Pumps?

FISHnLAB

Hey guys, how are ya today?

So, I have started to research dosing pumps and have decided to build a setup to dose all of my tanks before spring. I dose daily so need a reliable setup for when I am away on trips and also to reduce daily maintenance when at home.

Because I dose daily and have tanks on the smaller side I am going to need very precise dosing pumps(preferably capable of dosing a single drop daily). But, I am on a limited budget so I preferably would like to do this without spending a grand.

I am completely new to peristaltic pumps so any advice or help anyone experienced in this field can give would be much appreciated.

To start with wow there are a lot of options. I definitely want a WIFI cabable unit though so that narrows things down a bit. I see units from Chihiros, Kamoer, Aquavitro, Ecotech, Red Sea, Jabao, Coral Box, etc.

So, where do I start? Did I miss any descent options? Does anyone have any experience with these? Who makes a long lasting, accurate, and reliable unit? I'm thinking I want to go with 3-4 pumps total. Is single drop accuracy achievable? Do I need to worry about the pump reaching all tanks(they are all within maybe 3-5 meters of one and other)? Anything else I need to think about? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance👍.

Last edited:
I’m not Sure you’ll get single drop accuracy, or if you do it will be expected since. Have a look at the specs, they usually quote minimum and maximum delivery options as well as % accuracy.

You want the same pump to add a single drop in each of your tanks at the same time? Regardless of the pump, I think it would be hell to calibrate the system so that one tank doesn't get more than intended while the other gets less.

I haven't read pump specs in a while, but I have it in my memory something like 0.5ml as minimum dose, that would be maybe 10 drops. What you could do is to dilute your solutions further.

I’m not Sure you’ll get single drop accuracy, or if you do it will be expected since. Have a look at the specs, they usually quote minimum and maximum delivery options as well as % accuracy.
Thanks for the reply👍. Yes, it seams it may be hard as many pumps list the minimum dosage at 0.1ml which is two drops. It is just my Fe Gluconate that needs such a low dosage in my 30cm Cube(27liters). I dose 6 drops of APT E(3/4's EI) and 1 drop of Seachem Flourish Iron daily in that tank(my smallest tank that I'm looking to auto dose). I could dose the Gluconate every second day I suppose or maybe dilute it(I'd rather not do that). Any ideas?

You want the same pump to add a single drop in each of your tanks at the same time?
No, I will use a separate pump for each tank(maybe 2 per tank). My smallest tank requires a single drop of Fe Gluconate daily.
Regardless of the pump, I think it would be hell to calibrate the system so that one tank doesn't get more than intended while the other gets less.
All of the pumps will be calibrated seperately for each tanks requirements(1 or 2 pumps per tank).
I haven't read pump specs in a while, but I have it in my memory something like 0.5ml as minimum dose, that would be maybe 10 drops. What you could do is to dilute your solutions further.
I have only done limited research so far but, many appear to list the minimum dose at 0.1ml which is 2 drops.

I really don't want to get into dilution until I start mixing my own ferts from raw salts(I'm trying to keep feeding simple for now as my tanks are growing great without fussing). I am currently dosing 3/4's EI with The 2Hr Aquarist APT E and adding about 1 drop of Seachem Flourish Iron per 19liters daily(high calcium inhibiting iron absorption).

That said, I may be willing to cave on dilution if absolutely necessary. How would I go about diluting APT E or Seachem Flourish Iron while keeping it stable for months if necessary?

Thanks for all of your help🙏.

My dosing requirements, just for added info, are...

My largest tank gets 0.75mL of APT E and 4 drops of Seachem Flourish Iron daily.

My smallest tank gets 6 drops of APT E & 1 drop of Seachem Flourish Iron daily.

I will be switching to NilocG Thrive for my AIO in the next few weeks too fyi as it is much, much cheaper...

My dosing requirements, just for added info, are...

My largest tank gets 0.75mL of APT E and 4 drops of Seachem Flourish Iron daily.

My smallest tank gets 6 drops of APT E & 1 drop of Seachem Flourish Iron daily.

I will be switching to NilocG Thrive for my AIO in the next few weeks too fyi as it is much, much cheaper...
You’re going to struggle with those volumes from a dosing pump. The only think they could work is diluting your AIO so that you need to dispense a larger volume. You’d also need one pump per tank.

You’re going to struggle with those volumes from a dosing pump. The only think they could work is diluting your AIO so that you need to dispense a larger volume. You’d also need one pump per tank.
Copy that, that's a bummer. I'm fine with one pump per tank but, really didn't want to have to mess with dilution(I might as well mix my own AIO if I have to go that route and I am not going to do that this year anyway). You don't think a pump is available that can meet my requirements? One that can dose say 2 drops per day minimum? I may have to reassess if it is worth going this route then. Maybe I can buy a more dilute AIO? Maybe I can save longer and get a premium lab grade peristaltic pump instead of this hobby grade crap?

In case I can't find another option/solution, how do you suggest one dilutes an AIO so it stays stable and doesn't precipitate for months? Also, how would one dilute the Seachem Flourish Iron and would it be possible to mix it with the AIO and dilute so I only need one pump per tank?

Thanks for your help again👍.

Dosing pumps do not cost a grand mate

There are plenty of really good pumps out there that should be able to work to your requirements.

DD ocean P4 pro is a good pump
Reef factory make a good one

Check out any reefing site like charterhouse, kraken corals etc…. They will have plenty of dosing pumps.

Dosing pumps do not cost a grand mate
I need at least 3 and as many as 6 of them though. I am currently running 4 tanks. Quality units seam to be pretty pricey with most 4 pump WIFI units in the $500CAD range.
There are plenty of really good pumps out there that should be able to work to your requirements.
Can you make some suggestions on some please?
DD ocean P4 pro is a good pump
Reef factory make a good one
I'll check it out thanks👍.
Check out any reefing site like charterhouse, kraken corals etc…. They will have plenty of dosing pumps.
Are those in Canada? I see you are in Windsor. Is that Windsor, Ontario, Canada? I'm guessing not as you said mate😁...

Thanks for your help👍.

Perhaps you could dilute with deionised water.
Yes, I will have to look into that. Does anyone have any experience diluting a pre-mixed AIO?
Personally, I’d mix my own AIO with dry salts.
I have already bought enough AIO for a year+ and I have no interest in mixing my own at this point. My tanks are growing great and I have a lot of other things to learn and get good at before I want to use any of my valuable time mixing ferts for little to know benefit(I am fine with the less then $30CAD per year I am currently spending to feed all of my tanks with a quality pre-mixed AIO).
Alternatively be prepared to splash out on a pump like this one: Reef Factory Dosing Pump PRO
I'll check it out, thanks.
min quantity is 0.01ml, and accuracy is +/-0.01ml. But it does cost £200.
Yes, that is pretty expensive considering I need at least 3 of them...

Here are some possible lower priced options that I can get easily in Canada...

Kamoer X4 Pro WIFI

It offers a minimum dosage of 0.1mL(2 drops) and an accuracy of 0.5%.

Kamoer X1 Pro WIFI

It also offers a minimum dosage of 0.1mL and has an accuracy of 2%.

Coral Box WF-04

It offers the same 0.1mL minimum dosage but, has no accuracy specs.

Red Sea Reef Dose 4

It offers a minimum dosage of 0.2mL(4 drops) and has an accuracy of 0.5%.

Do you think any of these lower cost options would suit my use? If they do in fact go down to 2-4 drops it seams like they should work for the AIO anyway as my minimum dosage is 6 drops per day. Maybe I could just add the Fe Gluconate every second day? What do you guys think? Worst comes to worst I can look into dilution too but, I'd like to keep that as a last resort(I think I favour investing in a higher priced pump over that honestly).

Thanks again for helping me sort this out guys, it's appreciated🙏.

I need at least 3 and as many as 6 of them though. I am currently running 4 tanks. Quality units seam to be pretty pricey with most 4 pump WIFI units in the $500CAD range.

Can you make some suggestions on some please?

I'll check it out thanks👍.

Are those in Canada? I see you are in Windsor. Is that Windsor, Ontario, Canada? I'm guessing not as you said mate😁...

Thanks for your help👍.
I wish it was Windsor, Ontario but sadly it’s not. Although I did spend a lot of time in Thronton, Ontario as a child.

Most of the mentioned pumps will also be available in Canada, if not the States.

Above are some good suggestions too. Dosing pumps don’t have to be expensive and you may find some good second ones going.

As already said most pumps will handle minimal dosing. It’s what they’re built for, having originally been designed for hospitals etc…..

Good luck with the search.

Ok, the Red Sea one will do a minimum of 0.2mL or 4 drops and then 0.1mL(2 drop) intervals from there up...

Timestamp 6:25...

So it may be serviceable for my application. It is definitely a higher priced option though. I'll keep at it...

The Kamoer X4 Pro looks really nice. It is a little cheaper then the Red Sea and comes with all the hoses and hardware as well(with Red Sea it is sold seperately). It also can dose down to 0.1mL(2 drops) so it is better for my application...

The Coral Box WF-04 is half the price of the other two and offers many of the same features but, it looks cheap and I don't think parts are available so there is a definite trade off for the savings.

The Aquavitro Sentia Dose is kind of in the middle but, I can't seam to find the minimum dosage it does. I would like to figure that out too as it is still quite appealing and offers a lot of neat features(maybe I'll email). It also has a stellar warranty at 5 years and is backed by the Seachem name. If anyone owns one please let me know how it is and what it's lowest available dosage is...

Why do you need the dilution to hold for months? Can't you dilute just enough for a couple of weeks at a time? I think it should be pretty straight forward, you buy some DI or distilled water, at one part of fert to 3 parts of water and you already have a dosing regime of 4 drops instead of 1, in your worse case scenario.

Why do you need the dilution to hold for months? Can't you dilute just enough for a couple of weeks at a time? I think it should be pretty straight forward, you buy some DI or distilled water, at one part of fert to 3 parts of water and you already have a dosing regime of 4 drops instead of 1, in your worse case scenario.
I don't really I suppose. I just figured the point of a dosing system is to lower the maintenance so I'd like to just pour in say a liter of AIO and forget about it for a year. I am planning to add a small air stone to keep it mixed or maybe put a vibratory mixer on a timer under the dosing containers(I was going to ask about the best method for this down the line). I do keep Distilled Water on hand at all times though to clean my electrodes. Do you think diluting with Distilled would lower the stability of the AIO solution or degrade it over time in any way?

From what I read of other's experience with mixing their own ferts, there is a concern regarding the pH of the solution, so they add some amount of acid. There can also be other additives to keep things stable. If you dilute those, you may weaken the protection they offer. It should be visible, though, if something goes wrong. You would get some form of precipitate, or color change, or mold. You could try just diluting a larger batch, maybe for a couple of months, and see how long it lasts, while you are at home. If you are going out on vacations, keep it safe and do a small batch.

From what I read of other's experience with mixing their own ferts, there is a concern regarding the pH of the solution, so they add some amount of acid. There can also be other additives to keep things stable. If you dilute those, you may weaken the protection they offer. It should be visible, though, if something goes wrong. You would get some form of precipitate, or color change, or mold. You could try just diluting a larger batch, maybe for a couple of months, and see how long it lasts, while you are at home. If you are going out on vacations, keep it safe and do a small batch.
Ok, good to know. Thank you for all of the help👍.

Back