• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing pumps

Mattant1984

Hi all, been looking into getting a dosing pump for adding my ferts and wanted some recommendations. Not looking to spend a huge amount
Been looking at the Jebao ones (DP2 etc) and also the DD P1, has anyone got any experience with these??

Many thanks

DD P1, has anyone got any experience with these
I use the DD P1. It was a good price and has good programming options. Downside is that it’s internal clock looses about 1min per week, so you need to connect to it regularly to reset the clock. I think for a £70 piece of kit that’s unacceptable so wouldn’t buy one again.

I have one of the older model Jebaos. It works perfectly fine aside from the time setting sliding out a bit over time. If the newer Jebaos also have this issue (?) I would just go for the older cheap model if you're not looking for something fancy.
Not having to worry about fertilizer dosing has been a huge relief for me

I have been using the Kamoer X1 PRO2 WiFi for 2 years now. It has one head and costs around 70USD. Pretty accurate. Never had a problem with it and retains its accuracy. They can be daisy chained if you have multiple units. I need two on my main tank as I am dosing macros and micros separately.
Jebaos work but it seem it's a hit or miss story. Some people will be happy with it like Hufsa above, others will have all sorts of problems with it. At least that what I have read in many reviews.

Which ever one you get, make sure it will not back-siphon. Big problem if you are pumping up to the tank. I'm in the US and use one sold by Bulk Reef Supply. It only runs less than 2.0ml/min and since I dose 4ml macro and 2ml micro, not a problem. I'll bet you can find the same pump in Europe.

Tempted as well.

The thing is I’ve spent too much on my tanks recently but if so I would probably go for for D-D P1.

Looks nice and neat.

I have been using the Kamoer X1 PRO2 WiFi for 2 years now. It has one head and costs around 70USD. Pretty accurate. Never had a problem with it and retains its accuracy.
I bought one of those some time ago... you among others recommended it - It really did worked well for the time I had running (very precise), but my wife started nagging about the clutter around the tank with the pump, bottle and stuff… especially when she realized its a gadget that saves me like 10 seconds of attention once in a while :lol: I am thinking about putting it up for a donation sale here on UKAPS.

Cheers,
Michael

I bought one of those some time ago... you among others recommended it - It really did worked well for the time I had running (very precise), but my wife started nagging about the clutter around the tank with the pump, bottle and stuff… especially when she realized its a gadget that saves me like 10 seconds of attention once in a while :lol: I am thinking about putting it up for a donation sale here on UKAPS.

Cheers,
Michael
Honestly for me it's more than a gadget. How many times did I forget what and if I had dosed the tank. Obviously one can live without it, and I did, but this device has freed me of worrying about ferts completely. It's a bit like the timer you got on your lights. Imagine having to turn on and off the lights of the tank manually every day 😩. At the end of the day it's all a matter priorities for each of us. On a low tech, I think this would probably not be justified though since we often dose once or twice a week.

Honestly for me it's more than a gadget. How many times did I forget what and if I had dosed the tank. Obviously one can live without it,
For sure... After I took it down I just started to dose all my micros at the same time as my NPK after WC for the duration between WCs. Seems to work nicely in this particular low-tech tank - and not unlike what I do in my other tank with Tropica Specialized - 1 ppm N after 35% WC every 11-12 days.

Cheers,
Michael

Easiest way to ensure it will never backsiphon is to keep the dosing line ending above the waters surface. 100% effective.
True, but the back-siphon problem I had was different. The dosing line was above the water and air would be sucked in the tube leaving inches of air in the line. That doesn't make for an accurate dose. The doser I have now from Bulk Reef Supply does not back-siphon air like some others.

True, but the back-siphon problem I had was different. The dosing line was above the water and air would be sucked in the tube leaving inches of air in the line. That doesn't make for an accurate dose. The doser I have now from Bulk Reef Supply does not back-siphon air like some others.
This is to do with number of rollers in the peristaltic pump. A cheap 3 roller peristaltic pump, can allow liquid to reverse flow back through the pump, as there is a pump rotor position that when stationary still allows fluid to flow through, especially if you locate the pump below the fish tank. A flow valve can help, but with fertiliser will have a habit of regularly blocking.

A 4 roller pump does not suffer from this as when stationary there will always be a roller pinching the tube preventing reverse flow. 4 roller pumps give a much more precise dose.

..cheap 3 roller peristaltic pump, can allow liquid to reverse flow back through the pump..
Thanks for this explanation Ian, now I know why my dosing line was randomly empty that one time.
I had read about the roller stuff but somehow still hadnt connected the dots until now :thumbup:

Back