• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

double edge thread gone single thread finished

tim

starting up a journal for my 23ltr and 46ltr edge tanks 23ltr has the light bar from the 46 so double the leds
23ltr used to look like this
7289998886_3568c90205.jpg

got tired of the slow growth of low tech and algae in the tank as its in the kitchen gets natural light for about 8 hours a day so its been rescaped and now looks like this
7825561010_03cb9e8e34.jpg

substrate is florabase hardscape petrified wood like the orange tones of this goes with the burnt orange edge welding gas co2 running 24/7 1 bps seems to be helping with the algae issues fauna my wifes betta and two ottos flora blyxa japonica rotala rotundifolia hydrocotyle tripartita these have been going well for about 6 weeks blyxa even has a flower stem
7825580844_6ab1aaa0f1.jpg

just planted elocharis parvula today so see if it spreads
7825586350_1df09d6d1d.jpg

ill add some pics of the 46ltr tommorow after waterchange and bit of a glass clean just one final shot of the 23ltr
7825576028_4309443d52.jpg

gotta be everyones favourite view of the fluval edge
thanks for looking all comments criticisms welcome

few pics of the 46ltr edge to be honest i only bought this because the price i got it for inluded a jbl m602 co2 system which i wanted for my cherry shrimp nano for the solenoid and at £100 for the lot i thought it was a steal :thumbup:
been planted up for about 6 weeks now swords crypts and moss nice low tech low maintenance plants
7832050708_cfcccf87fb.jpg

peacock moss stones added this morning
7832070632_59355a5598.jpg

tank is home to some japan blue endler males nice active fish as it in my daughters room wanted it to be quite lively for them
7832058352_d2ab74899c.jpg

hoping the background will fill in with tallish swords and crypt balansae going to be a slow grower but will hopefully get there
7832075456_5752be5757.jpg

cheers for looking comments and opinions welcome

Aqua sobriquet said:
Looks really nice Tim, hard to believe it's only 23L! Look forward to seeing the 46L. :D
cheers aqua :thumbup:
small edge has had lots of algae problems in the last couple of weeks bba on rocks and hydrocotyle i put this down to poor flow around the tank and dont think its a problem i can resolve due to the constraints of the edge so hydrocotyle has been replaced with parvula which has spread ok so far so thinned and spread it to the right of the foreground
7965359196_5d7af1cef8.jpg

gsa on the glass and bga crept along front glass again poor flow or too much daylight so blocked out front of the tank for a week or so twice weekly water changes and adding half teaspoon nitrate after w/c looking better so far
7965365240_54609a2ac3.jpg

blyxa in the center has gone nuts
7965321268_6eaf711842.jpg

wifes betta died had him for 3 years didnt look to be disease or water quality issue ottos are fine think old age tbh so got myself 8 boraras urophthalmoides
7965339570_71cc770fc8.jpg

awsome lively little fish poor photo doesnt do them justice
7965299304_67994acbe6.jpg

finish with that classic view of the edge cheers for looking :thumbup:

thought i would update this thread been a while :lol: both tanks are still running large edge still trying to get my kids interested in maintainence as well as naming fish lol
8338850542_176ed4359c.jpg

needs a trim some leaf melt could probably do with some ferts had none since setup plants all growing moss is the only plant struggling in here basic setup may get the kids involved in a rescape in the summer :thumbup: small edge ran ok algae issues down to flow ran co2 24/7 to be honest plant growth was too much and maintaining an edge is time consuming to say the least so it went low tech a couple of months ago just moss and ferns
8337787263_93ab79c9c3.jpg

ticks along nicely and is home to a small colony of neocardinia cf. zhangjiajiensis or snowball shrimp got last three from my lfs and two were already berried adult
8338851696_90cceb8bcb.jpg

juvenile
8337791715_a64c46bdaa.jpg

i phone pics so not the best but you get the idea
cheers for looking

Hi Tim , only just noticed this thread. Loving the 2 tanks. I'm thinking of going shrimp in the Edge. Got a nice 3kg CO2 set up last night off eBay for £80. I was thinking of using my smaller set up on the edge and using this on the rio but after reading this thread I don't know whether to not bother and just leave it low tech with moss and ferns.
Are you adding any easy carbo or ferts to your edge?

Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey mate been a bit slack updating the thread i dont use liquid carbon and i dose ferts maybe twice a week if i remember i use this James' Planted Tank - All In One Solution recipie number 3 for all of my low tech tanks i think the small edge makes a fairly good shrimp tank if i had less tanks running i would probably of kept it high tech but im liking the ease of maintainence how its setup now :thumbup:

Very nice Edge's you have! How are the leds in the newer one? Did you upgrade your lighting system in the 23l?

Did the same in mine. Simple swop 4 screws, 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still looking nice mate,never get tired of looking at mine,always watching the shrimp:) ;thumbup;

Reactions: tim
Thought I'd do a little update for this thread, inhabitants and plants all ticking along nicely, unfortunately my other half dropped something on the tank and cracked the top glass :( decided to remove the top and fortunately no damage to the side glass so I've kept it on its stand, it still looks like an edge ( sort of) pics to follow.

Back