• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dou's Various Tanks (ADA 60P, Do!Aqua MiniM+Cube, 90x30x36, etc.)

beautiful tank!!! :thumbup::clap:

Aaaammmmaaazzzing tank. Can you take pictures from left side and or from the top please?

Thanks! Ah... in hindsight I probably should've taken more angles but I actually took apart the aquascape already (sorry!) =[... I was anxious to move it over to the other side of the den (so I could start setting up the hardscape for my 90cm tank) and then I tried to lift it (with 80% of the water gone) but it seemed too dangerous so I left it where it was for now in a state of disarray... It's also about 1:30AM here and I didn't want to make any stupid mistakes because I'm tired =/

Can I ask what was your ferts regime for this tank?also frequence of Water change and lightning period? :)

Thanks!

Can I ask what was your ferts regime for this tank?also frequence of Water change and lightning period? :)

Thanks!

I used Seachem Potassium and Aquavitro N/P liquid ferts. My ratio of NPK is 1:1:4.5 (mL) per week. I also added in seachem equilibrium every other week to get my hardness back up a bit. My water change was about 35% once a week and light period was 5.5 hours with the middle setting on the Chihiros A-Series light (nearing the end I upped it to 6, but as a result I lost some of my balance and got that algae that looks like fine 1-2mm hair growing on my glass, and never figured out what my imbalance was lol... if someone knows, please feel free to chime in!).

And the tank is re-scaped! I just finished after about 10 hours... I'm still a bit slow but I feel like I created the perfect environment for chocolate gouramis! I picked up 8 more today at the LFS and they're just waiting in the 45p now. Hopefully the ammonia spike from the fresh amazonia wont be too long (I didn't use THAT much). Pictures to follow when everything has settled in a bit... I am super exhausted

Lovely updates as always ☺
Thanks Manisha =)

And here it is the updated photo/rescape! I re-used as much as I could and added in Sirion Buce that I've been hoarding due to a sale but haven't found a good use for. I find Buce really difficult to integrate into tanks especially since they are so colourful, it almost feels like most of them belong in a single buce-species only tank with stones that will help the shine. Anyway, half of it died and the other half I put into the tank... Sirion is pretty much a brighter pale green if that makes any sense - which works for me. I'm crossing my fingers that they flourish - they don't have to grow but just praying they don't die. The tank got rid of the ammonia spike way faster than expected! 0.25 reading the next day, WC, 0 ammonia today and a WC, and in the choco gouramis went =D. Unfortunately my holding tank for them had a hob filter which did not allow me to cover all of the openings, and one female jumped before she could join her new home (so sad =(...) I think I spooked it when I turned on the lights and I had to jump on a work call so I didn't inspect (like I normally would have). I actually got a new Finnex 24/7+ light fixture, but can't use it because the piece of wood is hitting it when I put it on the tank... will have to fabricate something.

NdbXHbV.jpg

Great use of wood, foreground is a little bit too much of everything though. I think in couple of months it would look more natural after plants will start to grow and cover some hardscape.

Great use of wood, foreground is a little bit too much of everything though. I think in couple of months it would look more natural after plants will start to grow and cover some hardscape.

Thanks for the feedback... I actually wanted it to be messy to emulate what you would find when you walk into the forest. I used smaller/medium pebbles but I don't like their colour... I will probably try to top that off with something, maybe a bit of sand. The only issue with sand is that it gets mixed with everything so in the end I can't really give it away or re-use it nicely =[. Not sure I like the idea of just throwing out substrate and I haven't found a good strainer. And I agree, it needs some maturing to do (so that it looks more natural and fills in, especially the bolbitis). I'm sure I'm going to start changing things soon enough like I always do haha. I am missing 1-2 plants - was thinking of marsilea hisuta but I heard it grows like a weed with CO2 so I'm not sure if I want to try it (on the bottom right side).

:wideyed: amazing scape, I would never get bored staring at that! Any other critters joining the chocos?
I might add red cherry shrimp but I'm not sure if I want the pops of red all over... I have a lot in my other tank I just removed plants from to use on the 90cm tank. Or maybe it will be okay. Either that or amano shrimp. I also have 5 pygmy cories leftover so I'll be putting those in once I set up the other tanks as well. Maybe 2-3 otocats too (cleaning crew basically haha). Is there something you think would go really well? Im looking for mute fish that blend in with the background that can coexist peacefully with choco gouramis... Otherwise I'll probably just leave it as is for now.

Sounds like a plan, maintenance crew should make life easier anyway! I have no experience with chocolate gouramis so not likely the best person do advise, but a little school of ditherers to flow around the tank might be nice, like a simple school of harlequins or dwarf rasbora (unless you really don't want any red).

But the best part is there is no rush as you have your main display species in already, so you may not ever want to add anything else to the upper level :)

I really like your thoughts wrt having a more mute complementary fish species in the tank ☺For my set ups I've considered the indian glass fish & glass catfish for similar reasons. Another small species I would like to maintain in a setup would be Norman's Lampeye or a pencil fish school. Although I think as Sean suggested micro rasboras would be great & would love the upper level cover you've got in the tank ☺

I like the rescape alot :)

(& you even got a choco in the picture :D )

I'm not sure the S vaillanti care that much for "dithers" - I moved Microdevario nanus into the 90cm, waited for them to settle, then transferred the S vaillanti from their Q tank (only fish) on Sunday, they are finally becoming more outgoing again late Tuesday (they had gotten so bold in the Q tank that I expected less introspection after the transfer :oops: )

It may also be that they just aren't keen on the M nanus - who are far more energetic than M kubotai :wideyed:

I'd go with a more subdued shrimp in this tank - maybe "chocolate" sakura ;) or tiger shrimp or ...

I actually added in my red cherry shrimp... I'm not sure how well it'll go but they are rili mixes (which kinda blend in).

I really like your thoughts wrt having a more mute complementary fish species in the tank ☺For my set ups I've considered the indian glass fish & glass catfish for similar reasons. Another small species I would like to maintain in a setup would be Norman's Lampeye or a pencil fish school. Although I think as Sean suggested micro rasboras would be great & would love the upper level cover you've got in the tank ☺

I have about 10 sparrow rasbora just sitting in another tank waiting for a home... I may add those in...

rili mixes
this rather demands an update photo :D

I'd give the sparrow rasboras a try - a main concern with choco's is finding a tankmate that doesn't consume 95% of the food in under 60 sec :wideyed:

Back