• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Downoi melt.

Garuf

Hello can anyone tell me if Downoi goes through a melt like crypts do before sending out new growth?
I've just planted some in my nano and in the week since setting it up and planting it every last piece has melted.
Anyone want to shed any light on the matter?

That's annoying, thing is I have the drop checker running so yellow its unreal. The tank has no fish so I thought "hell, why not!"
Could it be the sudden change in water hardness/flow that has caused it or would it just be that it has travelled badly?

any fish in with it, mine snacked 5 pots before I realised it was them :(

JOHNNY

Nope, nothing not even otto's...
Just plants.

I've had a strange experience with Downoi too. I had about 5 in my shrimp tank - 4 have almost withered away to just the stem, the other one has flourished and spread well.

I think one just arrived in slightly better condition that the rest :?:

I have had another 3 pots of this, all in a spare tank with no fish, adding daily ferts and easycarbo, and it just melted to nothing :? :? :? :? very odd, I have no idea why.

JOHNNY

Could it indeed be condition of the plants on arrival ?
I got just a single pot (Tropica) but it arrived quickly and I planted straight away. I split it into 5 plantlets along with a tiny shoot of 2 flat leaves which fell out of the packaging. All plantlets are doing well including the shoot which now has its distinctive leaves come through.

I have found that with the Egeria Densa plant that if Easycarbo is added to the water column, the plant begins to 'melt'.

Most likely not the case but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I've never tried it without CO2 but I'm sure it's possible. I'm pretty certain it would depend on the lighting level though. Very few carpet plants take readily to a non-CO2 tank environment (but again, this does not mean it's impossible.)

This plant responds well to Excel, but Excel does not deliver as much CO2 to a plant as gas injection does if dosed per bottle instruction, so you'd have to use more Excel than perhaps is economically feasible.

While it is true that P. helferi doesn't travel well, if you placed it in an injected tank and it failed then you need to look at your CO2 and/or flow. If you start to see it decaying then either immediately supplement with Excel and/or increase the injection rate and/or flow rate.

Cheers,

all my tanks are non co2 injected, so I guess I just can't keep this one :wideyed: most other plants I can keep using easycarbo so I'll juts add this one to my list of don't bother again until I use co2 injection :lol:

JOHNNY

Themuleous said:
Yeh CLive, one and the same, excel kills things.

Its not temp is it? Whats the tnak temp?

Sam

Sam,
P. helferi is not one of the things that Excel kills.

This is P. helferi grown with a every-other-daily 2X overdose of Excel at an average water temperature of 30C.
2866173250038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Excel, dosed per bottle does not kill many things except for algae, liverworts and bladderworts, which are susceptible. There have been some reports that Excel doesn't agree with Vals, and as SunnyP advises, E. densa, however, these are exceptions to the rules. Most things in the tank respond positively to Excel.
2597147700038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Neither Excel nor temperature is generally responsible for melting plants.
Tissue loss of S.A.M's , including holes, browning, softness, blackening, translucency, black spots and disintegration is a direct result of poor CO2 and/or poor flow. Proper adjustment of CO2 distribution will cause these faults to recede. Plant structure is primarily composed of carbon. You would be hard pressed to find a single molecule in a plant that does not contain at least one carbon atom. Planet Earth is a giant carbon based organism. Therefore, loss of structure can only be attributed to loss of carbon.

Cheers,

Back