• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragon fly larvae

Garuf

Just how long do they last for? I just caught one eating an ember tetra and the numbers have been declining seemingly randomly since the summer. I'm half way through stripping the tank and I've found another 3, making 4 in total.
How do they get here and more importantly how do I make sure there's no more?

Bloody hell! They can last as naiads for five years! You've got to get them out, mate!

Also, they can give you a horrible bite (with digestive acid injected into you), so take care with them.

Of course, if you could get them in a tank on their own you could just keep them, but you'd have to feed them (guppies?), and then you'd see the adult dragonfly, which would be pretty cool (if you didn't mind feeding them live fish).

They could have possibly come in on plants, but as you've got so many, is it possible that a dragonfly entered your house and laid eggs in the tank itself?

Even if you're not going to keep them, try and get some pics!

Mark

As said get 'em out, I found 3 after setting up a tank before - suspect the were imported on the plants & they started eating fry. Sprightly movers too - but once caught, they became food for my cichlids.

I seem to remember reading that they live as larvae for anytime between 1 and 5 years. I suppose if they're enjoying your embers, you might have them for a while!

It was, it was inspired by them anyway. The actual alien was the work of Giger, who's art in my opinion is weird in nightmarish proportions.

I quite often get damsel fly larvae in my tanks. I watched one hatch into a beautifully blue damsel, I did take some pictures at the time, but forget where there are now.
I suspect dragon fly leave are much more aggressive and dangerous, so yeah whip them out if they are taking your stock, if not i would leave them as an interesting bit of nature.

You would be surprised what you might find in your aquarium if you just looked a bit harder.

Back