• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragon stone algae - how to clean

Sirkavu

Hello everyone!!

I am trying to clean the algae from my dragon stone. I had long taken the fish from my 180L but, as it was at my wife’s beauty salon, I never took the tank down and it just build algae - yes water was still in haha

I honestly need help on how I can clean the algae from it. I’ve tried to boil them, to boil again but this time with hydrogen peroxide 3%…. No auccess

It’s not much now BUT I’m afraid it will come back to live and grow bad again if I sit out them in the new tank I’m trying to set up?

Appreciate any help and thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
I always found leaving it in a bucket of water with Excel in it over night does the trick. Kills the algae and then it comes off easily.

I’ve used and reused loads of Dragon stone and every time I’ve left it soaking in tubs of bleach / water for a few days then rinsed thoroughly and left it to soak in tubs of water for another few days. Always comes up clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to try tonight the above. I’m a little afraid of bleaching it, even tho I know it would clean easier, but the excel through the night could do the job - fingers crossed
I’ve used and reused loads of Dragon stone and every time I’ve left it soaking in tubs of bleach / water for a few days then rinsed thoroughly and left it to soak in tubs of water for another few days. Always comes up clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: it is working! I’ve been on holidays and got back this Sunday. I did the CO2 and water and the algae is actually coming out - success. I’ll be back at mine on Sunday to then clean is it and have it ready to be in my tank hehe so happy

Update: It has worked BUT not entirely. On the pictures below you see some of the algae still attached which is very tricky to take out BUT it looks like it is dead? Do you think this would not come alive and shrimps or Ottos would eat it out?

Attachments

• IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5875.JPG
    IMG_5875.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Back