• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Driftwood

Mark Webb

Looking for some interesting pieces of wood to scape a 6' Discus tank and I have found a stockist of large pieces of Driftwood. They tell me that it would float. Has anyone experience of buying large pieces (looking at pieces 80cm x 45cm) and would it become waterlogged and sink with time?

Not sure where your buying from, But mine driftwood always sank, But i think thats due to me boiling them for hour and a half first, I have two large pieces of driftwood and loads of smaller pieces, all over six inches. They all sink. Never had a problem with them after boiling. My manzi wood on the other hand is a right pain. :D

Hiya, if you have big floating wood then soak it in a water butt or maybe a pond for a while. Failing that, tie rocks to it and pop it in your tank, in time the wood will become waterlogged and stay sunk.

The altum angel tank at TGM that Andy Mack has just set up has a piece of driftwood that George Farmer found on his travels.
It floated in the tank for a couple of weeks, than sank.
But once it sank we decided that it looked more 'elegant' when floating.
We've now lifted it so it fills the upper area of the tank.
You may find something similar in a 6' discus.
The wood will sink with time.

Back