• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drilling APS Opti White Fish Tank

pinchez

Hi
I was looking at setting up a planted aquarium and came across the All Pond Solutions Opti-White Marine tank 80 x 40 x 45cm Using 8mm glass which looks nice and is a good price. I’d like to add an oceanlife overflow and sump but I’m not sure if the tank can be drilled? I asked them and the response was along the lines of “we don’t know but recommend using as recommended by the manufacturer“

As anyone drilled one of these tanks?

thanks

I will be trying in the next week or so. as I have just ordered the 60 x 40 x 40 version, and need to add an overflow hole for my auto water change system.

It shouldn't be an issue unless the glass is tempered, which I suspect is highly unlikely, as tempered glass is typically more expensive.

I've dropped them a message to ask the question anyway.

This is the response I got, I suspect they’re Just covering themselves. I’m not certain but I would think opti white glass can’t be tempered but would be nice to know for sure 👍

“I'm sorry I can't confirm if it tempered glass but I cannot recommend any modification of the product or use in any way other than what it's designed for. “

Very very very unlikely the glass will be tempered. Normally glass is tempered for things where breakage would be dangerous eg door glazing, glass shelving, coffee table tops etc. Never heard of tempered glass being used in a fish tank.

Anyway you will soon find out if it is tempered (unlikely), as soon as you attempt to drill it it will shatter :banghead:.

Little hint, get some bits of glass from glazier or old picture frames etc and practice drilling first, before you embark on proper "big boy" drilling. Carborundum or preferable diamond hole saws, along with suitable jigs (ie bit of wood with hole in) to hold in place make the job easy. Just keep the drill very wet and work slowly.

I had a reply to my support ticket from APS:

I can confirm that this is not tempered glass. If a tank has tempered glass this will be mentioned in the product description.

So we're all good to drill away!

As Ian mentions you ideally need a diamond hole saw (Amazon has a few) and you need to make a guide/jig to control the cut of the hole saw. When I last did this, I cut a suitable hole in a piece of 25mm MDF, and then used a large rubber washer (from a sink waste kit) between that and the glass - that allows you to fill it with water to act as the lubricant (if cutting downwards). I kept flushing the water pool and refreshing it every few minutes (bear in mind it will contain powdered glass which can be nasty so control spills).

I also added duct tape to the other side of the hole behind the glass and also another solid piece of MDF to support the glass, then had two clamps essentially clamping both pieces of MDF to the glass if that makes sense.

You just need to take your time and just allow the weight of the drill to do the cutting. It took me about 5-10 minutes total cutting time to get through my previous tank which was about 4-5mm - so I'm expecting this 8mm glass to take about double that - it's not something that's worth rushing!

Thanks again guys, great to get confirmation of it not being tempered, I’ve watched a load of YouTube on drilling tanks and know what to do. Will definitely have a practice first on scrap glass 👍

Never heard of tempered glass being used in a fish tank.
Neither had I, until two days ago. I used a tempered glass shelf from an old fridge to repair (/bodge) a broken tank I picked up for nothing. You can't drill it or cut it, but I didn't need to. :)

Back