• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker “sludge”

Tucker90

I have this style indicator
ecfed56b2c3494633f76efdc9a2803af.jpg

I have noticed that after a few days it will display a strong yellow indication, and have a cloudy slime build up at the orifice.

Once I clean the foul smelling slime out of the way it goes back to green.

Firstly, what is causing this?
Secondly, shall I just by a wide opening drop checker to see if that makes a difference?!

Thanks in advance
Thom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using the same DC style indicator for over 2yrs on my 50l and I haven't had any issues with it like yourself. I dont tend to clean it often or changes the Liquid often either like over 6 months easy.

How old is the tank itself?

I've found it's quite common, once you clean it out and then put the drop checker back in the tank it doesn't tend to show up again. Seems to often only show up on new pieces of equipment.

I've found it's quite common, once you clean it out and then put the drop checker back in the tank it doesn't tend to show up again. Seems to often only show up on new pieces of equipment.

I have been using the same DC style indicator for over 2yrs on my 50l and I haven't had any issues with it like yourself. I dont tend to clean it often or changes the Liquid often either like over 6 months easy.

How old is the tank itself?

Tanks around 6 moths old, seems to happen every week or so, not that much of an issue as I just clean it when I do a W/c just annoying!

Thanks for the replies though! Good to know it doesn’t only just happen to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanks around 6 moths old, seems to happen every week or so, not that much of an issue as I just clean it when I do a W/c just annoying!

Thanks for the replies though! Good to know it doesn’t only just happen to me!

Hi @Tucker90

It certainly doesn't just happen to you. I and others have mentioned this elsewhere on UKAPS. In my case, the build-up forms a white opaque film (at the DC entrance) that looks and behaves like a loose drum skin. It has to be deformed a lot before it can be punctured with a sharp object. I believe it results from dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) in the aquarium water, which seem to be a problem for some people but not others. My DC opening is circular and 20mm diameter. The problem is that, once the thinnest of films has formed, it interferes with diffusion of CO2 and can potentially lead to erroneous readings. One possible solution to this is to prevent build-up of DOCs in the aquarium water. Easier said than done even with filtration media specifically designed to do just this!

I would also add that the entrance to some DCs isn't even visible in normal use. I have turfed out two JBL designs for this very reason. So, if a film does build up at the entrance, it's pretty much guaranteed that you won't even know it's there. That's why I now have a conventional glass DC but am experimenting with electronic alternatives.

JPC

Last edited:
Back