• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop Checker Blocked By White Film

jaypeecee

20181128_131050.jpg 20181128_130901.jpg

Hi Folks,

My new glass conventional drop checker is giving misleading readings. And I have good reason to believe that it's being caused by a white film that builds up near to the DC entrance. In other words where the CO2 gas diffuses from the water surface to the airspace inside the DC. See attached piccies. One picture shows the film immediately after removing the DC from my tank. The other picture shows where I have pierced a hole in the centre of the film. The film is rubbery and stretchy - a bit like a loose drum skin. This has developed after just two days' use of the DC. I don't think it's fungus but perhaps a protein of some kind. But I'm only guessing. I think it's probably organic as opposed to inorganic. Having said that, I do use activated carbon in my external filter but perhaps it's time to find a better product - Seachem Purigen, for example.

I did read another similar thread - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/fungus-on-drop-checker.53359/ - but it was inconclusive.

Any suggestions, thoughts, etc. very welcome as I must find a solution to this.

JPC

Last edited:
Yeah it's just organic scum mate with some minerals. If you didn't have surface agitation it would probably build up on the water surface as well. I use either a syringe or turkey baster and just blow bubble into the DC with it until it is totally full of air, the current will carry away the scum and it will get filtered with the rest. Just keep the DC full at all times.

Yeah it's just organic scum mate with some minerals. If you didn't have surface agitation it would probably build up on the water surface as well. I use either a syringe or turkey baster and just blow bubble into the DC with it until it is totally full of air, the current will carry away the scum and it will get filtered with the rest. Just keep the DC full at all times.

Hi AWB,

OK, I think I understand. So, I need to fill the DC with air when it's in place in the tank. Then, the water level will be at the very bottom of the DC instead of a few millimetres inside the DC. I'll give it a try.

Thanks a lot.

JPC

Yeah that should do it pal, it's just so it doesn't get trapped. Mine does it now and again, thing is when the water level is up inside the DC the scum has nowhere to go and just sits until next time you take it out.

Meniscus haha just googled it, that's what I was trying to say. If you keep a Meniscus on the DC the scum will keep moving past.

I do use activated carbon in my external filter but perhaps it's time to find a better product - Seachem Purigen, for example.
I wouldn't say carbon is anything to do with this, neither would I say Purigen is significantly better than carbon.
I have recently swapped over to Purigen but only due to the ability to replenish it and the simplicity of using it in a bag which suits my change in filter.

I wouldn't say carbon is anything to do with this, neither would I say Purigen is significantly better than carbon.
I have recently swapped over to Purigen but only due to the ability to replenish it and the simplicity of using it in a bag which suits my change in filter.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I need to explain what I was trying to say when I made reference to activated carbon. If the film on my DC is caused by organic compounds, then it is possible that my current activated carbon is not adequately removing these dissolved/suspended organics from the aquarium water. That was my thinking.

As it happens, I have two packs of Purigen that I need to replenish. Haven't done this before so will need to read up on it.

JPC

Acknowledge what you say about the carbon, I won't comment as I don't have the knowledge! :sorry:

Purigen that I need to replenish. Haven't done this before so will need to read up on it.
https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php
Look up the FAQ; unscented bleach in general is just the cheap, value stuff from the supermarkets but just double check there isn't any scent added.
I also believe the Purigen should be kept 'moist' even when not in use, just incase you were unaware.

Back