• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

drop checker colour

hi guys should the colour in the drop checker change overnight when the ph rises?this is the colour in the checker this morning,i run co2 for 9 hours a day which is 1 hour before lights on and off 1 hour before the lights go off.
P1000487.jpg

It should get darker as the level of CO2 drops, but bare in mind that plants "exhale" CO2 at night I believe. One of the more sciencey guys may be able to help you out more though :)

Mine doesn't really get much darker overnight - I don't have any surface agitation, so I think it stays quite stable. (CO2 goes off with a solenoid like yours). If the drop checker is exposed during a water change it goes dark dark blue in 10 minutes, so I know it's working. If your fish seem happy in the morning I wouldn't worry.

Mark

Sorry you have probably been asked this before, but are you using the 4dKH water in that DC? If so then the colour you show looks about right to me :) I dont really notice a difference in the DC overnight, although I do run my CO2 24/7.

Steve is also right is saying that plants do give off CO2 at night, but this is less than they take in during the day.

Sam

Themuleous said:
Sorry you have probably been asked this before, but are you using the 4dKH water in that DC? If so then the colour you show looks about right to me :) I dont really notice a difference in the DC overnight, although I do run my CO2 24/7.

Steve is also right is saying that plants do give off CO2 at night, but this is less than they take in during the day.

Sam

Sam & Guys

If you are using ph reagent and 4dkh solution you will not see a dramatic change of colour ie drop checker solution turning blue, more like a dark green but certainly not blue. My DC with the above solution does not turn blue - but my Red Sea does which has their solution + 1 ml of tank water.

This begs the question how good / reliable is ph reagent and 4dkh

Regards

Paul.

mine turned blue using tank water as the tank ph is 7.6,ive just changed to 4dkh so i'll see if there's any difference using 4dkh to tank water

That colour looks fine, mine is like that during light hours and yellow in the morning.
As long as you have some nice surface movement and feeding the plants well enough for them to pearl and bring oxygen into the water, the fish will be fine.

Mine's the same and was going to ask a similar question

Thanks

Back