• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

drop checker help needed please

fishkeeper

Ive just recieved my drop checker- http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=1231

i got an ebay cheap version though.

It says on the instructions on the ebay page to turn the drop checker over once its filled with the solution (4dkh and the reagent), i cant turn mine over without it all spilling out, is there something i'm doing wrong here?

Also, where do i buy replacement bottles of the reagent?

Thanks

Will

just invert it to about the same angle of the one in the picture.. if you get liquid coming out at that angle you have too much in it :)

the reagent should last you absolutely ages, you only need 2-3 drops each time, I only redo mine every other waterchange, so once a fortnight. When you do run out, its any bromide blue solution, I think AE sell that as well.

It can be quite a fiddle to get the liquid to go into the bulb from the horn if you put too much in too quickly. The easiest way to get the liquid into the bulb itself is with a syringe, other wise I find rocking it back and forth a little can do the trick.

As Matt says, if the liquid is in the bulb and is coming out when you turn it over then you've put too much in!

right now i've done that successfully. The solution is still blue, how long should it take to change?

There is a massive air bubble in mine which looks like its restricting the water going in, how should i take this out?

Thanks

Will

The solution will take anything up to an hour to change, possibly more.

There should be an air gap between the bulb and the tank water. Drop checkers work on gas exchange, the tank water releases CO2 into the air in the drop checker which is then absorbed by the liquid in the bulb. When the tank water and the liquid in the bulb both contain the same density of CO2 then they release and accept CO2 at the same rate and an equilibrium is reached. (This description is probably chemically wrong but the general principal is sound!)

Back