Dry Mixing Ferts

johnny70

Is there any reason I cant pre mix(dry no water) my KNO3, KH2PO4 and MgSO4 or am I going to cause a huge explosion that will kill my house?

Cheers
JOHNNY

Themuleous

The problem with doing that is if you then decide that you're not dosing enough NO3 for example you can't isolate it and selectively add more of it, you'd have to add more of everything (i.e. in the mixed power) just to get more NO3.

Sam

johnny70

Yes, good point, so there is no health and safety reason not to mix then? I have my mix pretty much the way I want/need it and would like to make some ready (in bags) for when I'm busy or not around 8)

JOHNNY

Garuf

The only reason I can think is that you won't know how much of each is in each teaspoon of ferts as the ratio's will be totally different each time.

johnny70

Perfect Paulo, just what I wanted, just wanted to make sure it was ok to do :D

Garuf, I'm only wanting to mix(with the right ratio's) and store like this, then make a normal mix up as I normally would(in water), so there would be no uncertainty of the levels dosed.

JOHNNY

leetaylor

Hi, just looking at mixing my own ferts....what are KNO3, KH2PO4 and MgSO4 in english?
Aqua essentials lists there name not the formular for them

T V much

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
leetaylor said:
Hi, just looking at mixing my own ferts....what are KNO3, KH2PO4 and MgSO4 in english?
Aqua essentials lists there name not the formular for them
T V much
KNO3 = Potassium Nitrate

KH2PO4 = Mono Potassium Phosphate

MgSO4 = Magnesium Sulphate

leetaylor

Hi,

Right I downloaded the dosing chart program thing that is posted somewhere on here and I know what to mix up now so thanks for this...

One more question....

i would like to make up a liquid batch....would I be able to make up several weeks worth in one go and just measure the right ammount of liquid each time (subject to shaking the bottle) or would this not work?

a1Matt

leetaylor said:
Hi,

Right I downloaded the dosing chart program thing that is posted somewhere on here and I know what to mix up now so thanks for this...

One more question....

i would like to make up a liquid batch....would I be able to make up several weeks worth in one go and just measure the right ammount of liquid each time (subject to shaking the bottle) or would this not work?
Have a read of this: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

leetaylor

cool beens dudes....Ill get my doc brown goggles on and attack the chemicals and see how it goes.....If it all explodes and kills me I leave all my fish tank stuff to the forum....