• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dry salts question..

Madhav

I live in a country where Borax is considered poison and not allowed to sell over the counter. Table salt is more dangerous for humans than Borax at those quantities, Leaving Logic aside and straight to the point...

QcWvde1.jpg

I only have access to the listed "chemicals" and would like to dose my 400L Juwel Rio with these dry slats.
I have a 1gram precision weighing machine and RODI water filter available at home.

Can any one advise the portions of these salts and water to mix and dosing regime ?
Tank :expected 350L water with 20% WC weekly
Filters: 2080 and 2078 running, DC is green, dosing Seachem NPK, trace, iron and comprehensive at recommended dosage. (not all in one day)
Concern: Crypt tips are curled as seen in pictures, Anubias is (long) due for its Excel spot dosing
No major issues currently just would like to address some algae and plant health issues and stop wasting money on the expensive Seachem water.

I can't change 50% every week per EI dosing so please be considerate...;)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

View attachment QZ8jYzJ.jpg
View attachment LDA7P9i.jpg
View attachment DXEUO0V.jpg
View attachment APlDd8I.jpg
View attachment FLjB0WX.jpg
View attachment d3tZm6W.jpg
View attachment kl5bH7z.jpg

For planted tanks Urea is not really very helpful, in fact very toxic to fish, so not really considered useful for fish tanks, unless you really know what you are doing. Urea is very a good supply of nitrogen for terrestrial plants, which is why it is present in "standard" plant fertilisers.

You need to find a source of nitrogen, as the salts you list above have no nitrate/nitrogen source. Normally potassium nitrate is one of the best sources, also supplying potassium as well. Other nitrate sources are magnesium nitrate and calcium nitrate, these are aquatic safe.

There is no need for any source of sodium, as in your sodium carbonate/hydrogen carbonate. Sodium plays virtually no role in plants and fish.

So you need to source a suitable nitrate source. Some people manage to locate potassium nitrate fertiliser solution in countries with dry salt selling restrictions, have you looked for this.

Otherwise you will be looking at dosing commercial NPK aquatic fertilisers.

Urea is an organic nitrogen containing waste product from Proteine metabolism in the liver. Cow dung! for example.. Adding it to the tank equals slightly exorbitantly, pee and poop in your tank. :rolleyes::hungover::what: It firstly needs to be oxydized to Ammonia and than what the planst don't take up from this Ammonia needs to be converted to nitrite and again to nitrate by the present bacteria.

In soil for terrestrial plants this aint a big deal, it gets slowly converted and used by the planst as they need it.

Adding it to a water column it's a different story with the 3 toxic stages it has to go through before it's nitrate, it burns the crap out of higher lifeforms in the water. A little fish tank likely doesn't have the capacity to deal with it. And all fert solutions produced for terrestrial plants likely contain Urea and Ammonia.

Calcium Nitrate is available separately in 500 and 1000grams bottles, considering this any suggestions?

If it is a liquid solution you would need to know the concentration to know how much 1ml solution adds to x volume of water. If you can get it as a dry salt makes it a bit less complicated with using the on internet available calculators.
Knipsel.JPG

From
http://theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator/

Urea is an organic nitrogen containing waste product from Proteine metabolism in the liver. Cow dung! for example.. Adding it to the tank equals slightly exorbitantly, pee and poop in your tank. :rolleyes::hungover::what: It firstly needs to be oxydized to Ammonia and than what the planst don't take up from this Ammonia needs to be converted to nitrite and again to nitrate by the present bacteria.

In soil for terrestrial plants this aint a big deal, it gets slowly converted and used by the planst as they need it.

Adding it to a water column it's a different story with the 3 toxic stages it has to go through before it's nitrate, it burns the crap out of higher lifeforms in the water. A little fish tank likely doesn't have the capacity to deal with it. And all fert solutions produced for terrestrial plants likely contain Urea and Ammonia.

If it is a liquid solution you would need to know the concentration to know how much 1ml solution adds to x volume of water. If you can get it as a dry salt makes it a bit less complicated with using the on internet available calculators.
View attachment 119179

From
http://theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator/

Thanks Marcel.. it helps

Back