• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry Start Method

Steven Southgate

Seedling
I am very new to aquatics. I have recently started a small 80ltr tank and wanted to try the "Dry Start" method. I began by placing some Fluval Stratum Plant and Shrimp Substrate into my tank. I added some rocks and purchased some Dwarf Baby Tears seeds on line and scattered them across the substrate. I covered in cling film and sprayed twice per day. I was pleased with the beginning growth but it was slow so I purchased a DIY Co2 system (CA/BS) and added this through a diffuser. I left some gaps around the substrate and planted some Dwarf Hair Grass. I spray each day with water mixed with Seachem Flourish Excel. In another tank I added some water and placed my Fluval C3 hang on filter start up fluid and dropped a dead prawn into the tank (I read this on line) to build up ammonia to cycle. As soon as this is cycled I will transfer the filter the the main tank and add water to the dry start plants. I am worried the beautiful growth will melt away as soon as I add water. Is there any tips anybody can share before I add my water?

20180414_085514.jpg
20180428_092353.jpg
20180428_092345.jpg

Hi Steven and welcome

There is no need to add CO2 during a DSM as atmosphic air has CO2 in abundance, just removing the cling film twice a day is enough.
I would blast the plants with 12hrs a day at max intensity. That's what I did. Then the plants will have a plentyfull energy reserves ready for when you flood. When you flood than apply the CO2 and apply it well, I turned my intensity down to 50% and 6hrs photo period once flooded. Then I would start the ferts once flooded. Getting the CO2 profile right once you flood will help reduce melting but some melting is inevitable as the plants adapt to growing in water. Plants having enough energy stored for the change helps OFC

Thread moved from the "Members Introduction" section to the "General Planted Tank Discussions" Forum section.

Cheers,

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcome. Thank you very much Zues/Konsa for this information. I am really grateful. I think the baby tears are what they stated but I think the dwarf hair grass is not real DHG. If fact it looks like normal garden grass. I am in the process if removing this from the tank. It's going yellow/grey and started to smell. I am adding water this weekend. I will reduce the light to 6 hours per day and I will add Co2 at a high rate as I have no fish in the tank.

What fertiliser do you recommend?

Bad luck with the seeds, I nearly fell for it. Looks like such a easy way to get a nice green carpet.

How's everything going?
I've had good results with aqua evolution complete other people rave about TNC complete but I've never tried it.
If your planning on sticking with it for a while order yourself a EI starter kit (dry salts) , saves a fortune in the long run.

Back