• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start: my 11gal nano (Title was: Hardscaping my 2nd try)

Re: Advice my hardscape please

I´d use the Wood as Mainpart aswell.

And you say youre drystarting which is fine but i can see no Plants in there!?

Re: Advice my hardscape please

Hi,

Thank you all for your explanations, I feel really disappointed in the aquascaping area.
I just got some new wood shaped in branches and looked at a hundred aquascape photos. I'll try in the 2-3 next days to rearrange the stones/wood and add some more substrate behind the rocks. That elevated substrate though, won't be planted before immersion phase as it won't be easy to keep it moist without flooding the front of the tank. I'll arrange the stones in a higher hill/mountain too. I'll post back with the photos.

As of the dry start, it's all filled with an hygrometer inside too. Plants are waiting since a week now in my 230L tank. I wanted to arrange the hardscape before planting to avoid the mess

Many thanks again for keeping an eye on this topic :)

Re: Hardscaping: my second try

Well, I was advises elesewhere and arranged it differently:

Different views:

Any other suggestions please?

As of the plants, they will be:

Echino Tenellus, Crypto Parva, P Helferi, Crypto Wendtii Tropica, Anubia Nana and Windlov java moss
Some stems: R Wallichii and another stem plant to choose (some P. Stellatus or Cuba... maybe)

I know I ask much, but any advices on how to arrange them for the best effect?

Really I appreciate any help

samc said:
if i was you i would just remove the rock on the left and plant it as it is.

Yeah, I'd agree with Sam :) I'd also just blend your rocks into your substrate a little, so they look a little less placed, and more like they've been there for thousands of years :) Just push them into the substrate a little, and make sure it covers any edges on the bottom of the rocks.

Many thank you both for your suggestions, I really appreciate the help

I finally kept the big rock on the left, it looks nicer in reality than in the photo. But, I would maybe later change it with a much narrower and higher one, sort of a mountain. I also pushed them deep in the substrate as you suggested

Here's my plants topo, what do you think of it?

I still hesitate on C. Wendtii on the top right corner, any suggestions for another plant?

Many thanks again for all your help

Wenditii might get a little big, but I'm not too sure to be honest. Your area for R Wallichii might be a bit small too, but you'll know for definate when you plant it up :)

I'd be tempted to cram a bit of java fern into the crack between those two rocks on the right as well. Are you going for normal, or "narrow"? Normal might be a bit big for your tank :)

Hi,

Thank you again for teh info,

I was going normal, since I have much in my 230L/60gal tank. I will look at the narrow, you're right for sure.

I just planted the tank this night and put a Crypt Parva in the crack between the rocks. Was fearing to put a java fern since it will cover all the rock once it grows. But using a narrow fern specie could be fine indeed. I'll look how it goes once plants grow.

What do you think if I switch the big rock on the left with a narrow one, but higher, like a mountain. I even could just turn the actual rock, front part going on top. Was also thinking at using a mountain like effect with a petrified wood instead of the rock on the left, but I don't know what it would give with the other grey 2 rocks :?:
And if I put "the mountain", where should I build it, in the front, back or same level as the wood lines?

Many thanks for helping me decide

I'd stick with the same types of rocks. It's hard to get two different types of rock to look right together, unless in a massive tank and you can do some fancy transition between the two.

Any chance of a full frontal of the tank? It's better to get an idea for how things look that way :) My personal thoughts are that you either don't need the rock on the left at all, or you use a smaller one, as it's quite dominant.

You might also be able to group it with the other two rocks on the right, having it towards the back, and comming out to the left. This might give you a nice triangle composition, with a bit of open space to the left which you could plant with lower growing plants, or have your E. Tenellus at the back and something smaller in front.

SteveUK said:
You might also be able to group it with the other two rocks on the right, having it towards the back, and comming out to the left. This might give you a nice triangle composition, with a bit of open space to the left which you could plant with lower growing plants, or have your E. Tenellus at the back and something smaller in front.

Here's an example of what I mean. This is one of George's scapes called "Blyxa Hills":

It's got a great triangle composition running right to left. You could try to create something similar (with different plants, and with the wood too) :)

Hi,

Thank you very much for following this topic and helping me step by step in my first try in an aquascape. Hard for me this art :? The example you showed is very nice indeed, but I'd love a more proeminent rock somewhere

It will be hard to put it with the 2 other rocks without removing every thing and redoing the substare, it is very big/dominant, as you well noted in deed. I feel more and more you're right about getting rid of that big rock. I'd love add some rock somewhere though.

I'll take a front shot tonight when back, with the lights installed. It is now planted, dry, so it will give you a good global idea on how it is going.

Thank you again very much, I'll post back tonight

Hi,

Here's a front shot, as it looks now.

The java fern and stems will be grown once immersed

So, what about that rock on the left and using it back side to up or a smaller, yet higher rock for a mountain effect on the left?

Thank you again for all your help

wow, how different does that look now it's planted! I'm impressed.

there's 2 bits of p helferi in the front which look a little lost. maybe move them back a little towards the stones?.....

you just need some HC or glosso now ;)

over all, that's a promising layout you have :D

Oh, many thanks, I really apprciate your comments :)

I was feeling so "zero" and incapable of designing an aquascape I like, not for any conquest though. Your directions and the help of other people on barrreport helped me a lot.

I'll let the P. Helferi grow and spread as I'm starting it dry, then prune/shape it once immersed indeed.
Still, I'd like to find a narrower/higher rock to replace the big one on the left, yet having the same horizontal lines of the actual one. So that they continue the lines of the wood and the rock on the bottom right.

About the plants, what's the moss that I see people put on the wood of many Amano and contest tanks?

Back