• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DSM Issues with HC Cuba

Ludford

Seedling
Was wondering if anyone else had experienced the problems I'm having with DSM HC Cuba.

I've been running this setup for about a month. I spray once a day and cover with clingfilm.

The plants at the front are growing rapidly and are doing very well. But the ones at the back are stunted and starting to yellow.

How dry should HC be when using DSM? Should the plants be wet to the touch or completely dry?

Picture of setup is below. My phone camera is pretty bad so it's showing everything as dark, but the light is very bright in real life so I don't think it's a lighting problem.

gocrsZv.jpg

It could be too dry back there. In my experience they grow best in waterlogged soil. Also direct sunlight - which is sometimes an overlooked advantage of dsm.

You can try submersing the front and waterlogging the back or covering the tank with clingfilm to keep the moisture in.

If you are growing it in the aquarium it's not a bad idea to waterlog/submerse them occasionally. This will actually stop them from melting when you add water later.

Last edited:
I've never used DSM myself but every tank I've seen using this method had a mist inside it; I suppose that the humidity level it's too low ; your substrate has a slope so the water is naturally collecting in the front; HC is a small leafed plant so the leaves cannot retain much water unless there is a constant supply

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Has to be the moisture levels; all other variables appear to be equal to both parts of tanks. Is light equally strong front and back?

I think I'm going to just flood. I can't maintain good moisture levels at the back. Probably because of the slope.

The key to success is having a slightly higher temperature inside the tank than the surrounding air outside of the tank, that will produce very high humidity.
Placing the tank in sun light will do that but I have found placing a heat mat under the tank produces very fast & healthy growth.
Ideally there should be condensation forming on the underside of the cling film & the sides should be coated in moister, a bright light source completes the effect.

Well I've now flooded and got the Co2 going. Since I seem to have failed with DSM.
I doubt the melted strands at the back will make a comeback, fortunately there is new growth underneath the melt since flooding.
Everything is pearling nicely.

nkB3LEc.jpg

Back