• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dual Regulator system - one side losing pressure?

Only other thing I noticed is that you do have quite a lot of thread showing on the bottom side of your right hand inline diffuser.

Your left hand one looks normal.

Here's mine for comparison:

E0399985-D2C5-4874-A4C8-19CCD7B8A791.jpeg

Although to be fair, I can't see why that would make a difference.

Sounds like it might be the atomiser. I've had a similar problem in the past. The ceramic gets gunged up and acts as a barrier.
The manufacturing process can cause a similar problem as well.

Atomizers can generally be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or a dud. I've given up with UpAqua atomizers for instance. I've had 2 that wouldn't work straight out of the box and several that have eventually stopped working properly.

Maybe try soaking the ceramic cylinder in neat limescale bleach or Steradent for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work try soaking overnight. That usually clears any blockage.
Also make sure the atomiser body and "gas in" nipple are tightened up properly so CO2 can not bypass the ceramic cylinder or leak out.

Thanks Tim.
Tim I suspected this from the start, so this is actually a brand new 16/22mm inline ceramic diffuser, and I fitted it last week to eliminate exactly this thought process. Regarding the screw depth on the inline diffuser, I have noticed this but it’s absolutely correct and tightened. I did actually have the old one jubilee clipped to see if that was also an issue.
I wish it were an engine with moving parts as it would be so easy.
I shall try swopping Oase600’s over in the coming days and seeing if that makes a difference, but I wouldn’t say I’m taxing this system at all with only a foot of Polyurethane pipe work and also having pressure up at nearly 40 psi, maybe dropping to 38 when it’s actually kicked in...

Sounds like it might be the atomiser. I've had a similar problem in the past. The ceramic gets gunged up and acts as a barrier.
The manufacturing process can cause a similar problem as well.

Atomizers can generally be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get a good one or a dud. I've given up with UpAqua atomizers for instance. I've had 2 that wouldn't work straight out of the box and several that have eventually stopped working properly.

Maybe try soaking the ceramic cylinder in neat limescale bleach or Steradent for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work try soaking overnight. That usually clears any blockage.
Also make sure the atomiser body and "gas in" nipple are tightened up properly so CO2 can not bypass the ceramic cylinder or leak out.

Hi Folks,

I prefer to use vinegar. The deposit on the atomizer is likely to be calcium carbonate (chalk) so should respond to an acidic solution - hence my choice of vinegar. The atomizer that I use is the one that carries the same name as an anti-tank rocket launcher! o_O

JPC

Ok morning update.
Last night I took the check valve off the right hand side with the issue and left it on the left hand side which is fine. Both polyurethane pipes are equal lengths to both diffusers.
The good left hand side when kicked in performed as it should from the night before, but sadly the right hand side which is now just routed direct from bubble counter to the diffuser, once again slow. Removing the check valve made no difference.
So I’d like to think this only leaves me with the ceramic diffuser which new when I first installed it, and was also replaced last week with a brand new one, so it has had 2 new units fitted...
I’ve now dismantled the original unit and taken the ceramic tube out and placed in bleach...
I will try and fit this back in tomorrow to try and eliminate this also.
Really scratching my head here. :(
CO2Art came back last night and asked me to remove check valve and also to try another ceramic membrane to see if it’s clogged.
I would be disappointed if so as I’ve spent nearly £80 on new parts to no avail so far...

Another update.
I’ve managed to get the inline diffuser stripped down and bleached and clean ready for reinstallation.
I’ve meticulously reassembled this and ensured everything is absolutely leak proof, and waited till 12pm for CO2 to click in as it should.
Sadly at 12pm still the same. Left side fine, the issue side with freshly cleaned ceramic diffuser still only small bubble count.
A little unsure where to go from here...
I will try and Zeus mentioned and swop the whole filters around just to eliminate this.

A4D06687-B813-44D8-A790-ACF821DB5EC1.jpeg
6AAF941C-7A14-4CC0-9B15-9C1685180E41.jpeg

CC42A7E5-5614-4101-807A-3E6EA046DC20.jpeg

I would now put the right side with the slow reg on to the left side if tomorrow the left side has a dropped bubble count you know it's the regulator

Hey Jay, that was actually the first thing I did, swopped the extinguishers with regulators attached around so the right hand side that was slow is now on the left. And the right hand side still stayed slow.
I’ve pretty much done everything now, I’ve swopped the whole Oase unite over now to see what happens at CO2 on tomorrow.
Then I think I may try just using the smallest length of polyurethane pipe to the diffuser in the bad side, see if it makes any difference. I’m struggling with options now...

Well swapping things ove and nothing changing is at least ruling out equipment so like you say filter is the next step

Hi. Have you tried switching the diffusers?
If you are unable to increase the working pressure on the regulator then I would suspect you do have a leak. I had a similar problem when I was using the UP inline atomisers which were phone to cracks.
I would try taking the ptfe tape off the co2 nipple and testing by putting the diffuser under water covering the ends with your fingers to create a bit of pressure. With co2 on you should see the bubbles inside the diffuser but any leaks from the end seals or co2 nipple will be more obvious than a slow leak with soap solution.
The length of pipe from regulator to diffuser isn't an issue, I have one running 10 feet in my fishhouse without any issues.
Cheers
John

Hi John.
So here’s the thing.
CO2Art stayed they are capped at 40psi so I can’t up the pressure anymore. Do we know it the CO2Art pro series although double the cost can go higher than 40 psi?
This is the second brand new diffuser fitted as I presumed the first was the issue so ordered a new one which was delivered and fitted. I’ve since taken it back off and refitted ensuring as best possible I have no leaks and even when switching the whole fire extinguisher with regulator over , it’s still the right hand side which is slow on start up. I’ve even check it again this morning to no avail. The thing is, could this be more then what I’m seeing.? If a different brand new 2KG extinguisher and regulator/bubble counter still have slow start up, it can’t be this as it works on the other side of the tank.
The diffusers are brand new, as is the pipework and I’ve now removed the check valves.
So this only leaves me with, what can possibly stop the bubble counter from spurting Into life at let’s say 2bps every day like the other side?
If I say “F@@@ it, and just open the needle valve to an impossible bubble rate per second, like blasting out last thing at night just as Co2 is going off, the next morning it’s still starting at only 0.5 bubble per second. I’m struggling to understand how continually opening the valve everyday doesn’t just blast the Co2 down the tube every morning? The gap must be getting bigger every day?
I’m just trying to understand how this back pressure works? CO2Art have responded have I changed the bubble counters over? But if I’ve switched the whole regulator over, I don’t think that’s going to matter...
Going to attempt to attach extended pipework now to see if I have enough length to dunk pipework and diffuser in water

Last edited:
Ok managed to get the whole diffuser under water and no leaks I can see. Certainly no bubbles appearing from any joins. I’m 100% convinced this is not a leak from the diffuser section
5C708460-7B28-4F86-AB54-0954A4F08355.png

Just want to say thanks for everyone’s input also.
Great to see a forum that isn’t bitchy, and everyone with a genuine passion for their hobby just wants to try and help people.
During this crisis, although this issue is driving me insane, this hobby is actually keeping me sane!

Ok this was the reply from Karol at Co2Art

“Both regulators are capped to 40PSI so the settings are absolutely right.”

mine is absolutely on the max adjustment on the front, and both regulators return the same, just around 38-40 psi.
How have you managed to get yours so high? Is there an adjustment?

Just turn the black knob on the front till the pressure rises it would probs go higher but I run it at just above 40psi and that works on all 3 of my co2art regs

Just turn the black knob on the front till the pressure rises it would probs go higher but I run it at just above 40psi and that works on all 3 of my co2art regs

upload_2020-5-8_16-39-47.png

130PSI is working pressure limit on my pro series

Jay mine are fully open on both and won’t rise above 40 psi.
It’s a little frustrating because there is a chance if I could open this up to say 45psi it could totally cure this issue.
Karol at CO2Art states both regulators they sell are capped at 40 :(
I think you just must be lucky as my Co2 cylinders are also both brand new as I have 6.

I cant dispute what karol says
I.just know all of mine go above that where did you get yours from

Back