• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Duckweed. Friend or foe

RolyMo

Sounds a weird question, but here we go.
I just got some cherry red shrimp through the post and they came in a bag with duckweed on the surface of the water. I am assuming to help the shrimp hold onto something during transport.

Now having added the shrimp i have the duckweed swirling about on surface of the tank.

Is it to be viewed as good or viewed as a weed that is hard irradiate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have it in all my shrimp tanks as a water purifier and since I have some slow growing plants like Fissidens Fontanus it would help to dim the lights to limit algae growth on them. Some people believe its hard to remove if they miss some hiding behind filters etc but in my opinion if you really wanted to remove them you can. They are very fast growing so you may feel like you have to constantly remove some to allow more light to you plants.

It all depends on what kind of tank you're running. If it is a low-tech tank, your plants will probably benefit from the diffusion of light, thus reducing CO2 and nutrient demand. In a high tech tank, it's basically just going to steal the nutrients (especially nitrates) that your plants need in the high demand environment.

I have duckweed in a couple of my tanks.

The only thing that is irritating is that whenever I have to do any maintenance in the tank I end up with it all over my arm.

It is very easy to remove. Just skim of with a net. The difficulty is making sure you get all of it. However just a few odd bits will take time to re-establish to full coverage.

I do not think it is a fan of surface movement though. The duckweed in my pond is much better looking than in my tank. It seems to develop to a much better stage in the pond and it actually looks quite nice.

i see it as foe, its gotten into 1 of my tanks, and im determined not to let it spread to my others

Gents. Thanks for the feedback. Extremely generous. Its interesting to see how people view it. I guess its a bit like the salad leaf Rocket, after all its a weed, but somehow its used as a premium leaf in posh Italian salads.
I will continue to observe and see what the fish and other plants make of it and clear it out if necessary.

Floaters in general make an excellent addition to almost any tank. However, I'd much rather have something larger, more attractive and easier to manage than duckweed. It took me nearly a year to eradicate it from my big tank, but that is a particularly tricky one due to the size, shape and emergent plants hiding fragments.

Foe. Trying to get rid of it for almost a year. One tiny bit left and the whole tank is full of it in two weeks.

Also vallis do not go very well with it.

Hi all,
Floaters in general make an excellent addition to almost any tank. However, I'd much rather have something larger, more attractive and easier to manage than duckweed.
On the balance I'm a fan, and I always some Duckweed, although I agree with "BigTom's" post that Amazon Frogbit or Salvinia are a lot easier to manage.
rather have riccia
I've got Riccia as well as Lemna minor. I find Riccia even more difficult to get rid off and it gets absolutely everywhere.
One tiny bit left and the whole tank is full of it in two weeks.
This is a nutrient response and particularly a response to high nitrogen levels. Duckweed has a really quick response to nutrient levels in the water, partially because all floaters and emergents have access to aerial CO2.

Because of the speed of this response it allows you to use the "Duckweed Index".
Have a look at this thread: <Low maintainence, long term sustrate | UK Aquatic Plant Society>

cheers Darrel

foe i hate the stuff with a vengeance

if only i could stick a goldfish in my tank for a few days to get rid of it :L +1 to riccia and frogbit

silver sharks like it as well

the tank its in is getting a rescape soon... i might just add riccia to compete with it, then kill that off with liquid carbon

riccia is a good plant i have it in a few tanks
but duck weed is a pain in the bottom i have
scooped it all out and only to find it growing
the next time i looked aaaaarrrrghggh pulling my hair out

i know the feeling, at least with riccia you can does excell to get rid of it :L, iv got an infestation of duckweed in 1 of my tanks, hate the stuff with a passion, i have sold a little online though... god knows why people want it :L

I like to think of duckweed as a water cleaner, it keeps the surface broken up of any extra proteins and is fantastic cleanser of the water, with its roots always providing spots for nibblage and even in bigger tanks when the roots grow out I've seen fry hiding around them, its fantastic. I love duckweed and my only fault with it is, It won't let me grow it in my tanks! Bugger keeps dying.

Back