• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Duncan's First Attempt at "Iwagumi"

shlunkster

Seedling
Hi Folks.

I just thought i'd share my progress of this new tank. After nearly 10 years of keeping marines, i've decided to shut my tanks down and go with a planted "Iwagumi" Style aquarium.

This tank used to be my LPS nano, so it took some severe cleaning to get all the crusty life off it!

If it seems like i've cut a few corners, I apologise. I work in an aquatics store (so get paid in peanuts and fresh air) But manage to blag the odd freebie!

The tank is homemade, braceless 24" x 15" x 12", hopefully giving it a good perception of depth. The equipment i'll be using is:

Lighting: TMC Grobeam HD1000
Filter: Fluval 205
Heater: Hydor internal 100w (To be upgraded!)
Co2: Denerle Classic Line 500g, With glass check valve, bubble counter, diffuser and V2 Single gauge regulator. I also have a JBL cheapy drop checker thingy. Many thanks Dave! (DKM)
Substrate: JBL AquaBasis, topped with a layer of Unipac "Senegal"
Rock: This stuff is called "Elephant Skin"
Ferts: JBL Ferropol (Weekly) and Ferropol 24 (Daily)

The plants i'm hoping to use are....

Hemianthus on the bottom, and something like E. Tenellus to give a bit more depth. Although I did see a great tank using H.C. and Pogostemon. The jury's still out on that one.

Sorry about the dodgy photos, I know's it's a good camera (400D) but it's my other half's and I've no idea how to use it! I'm sure you'll get the idea.

After a lot of warm water and vinegar it looked like this:

img5111j.jpg

Background and AquaBasis in:

img5114c.jpg

Gravel in, Filter on, rocks in, Lights on!!

img5121s.jpg

img5125r.jpg

Firstly, I'm not 100% happy with the rocks, I like the back two, but not sure on the front one. I might get some smaller pieces and replace the large flat stone at the front. What do you guys think? Secondly, I don't think I have enough gravel. It looked like a pretty convincing slope when it went in, but once it was filled (painstakingly slowly I might add) It was pretty non existant, and now looks flat :shifty:

The other glaringly obvious problem is the ingenious way i've suspended my GroBeam over my tank.
Yes, that's right, those are the lids from Jerrycans........

This is where I need your help! I can't drill into the wall, as my house in rented! I thought the suspension bar from a Fluval Osaka would be perfect!

FluvalOsaka155AquariumCube.gif

But I can't find one anywhere!!

I'm rubbish at DIY, so if any of you chaps have any ideas please let me know!

Anyway, the Glass diffuser is still awaiting delivery so i've got time to muck around with it!

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers for reading
Duncan :thumbup:

Attachments

• FluvalOsaka155AquariumCube.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 80
  • FluvalOsaka155AquariumCube.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 77
Hi Duncan,

Made a start I see. Hope all is well.

I think rock placement can be very subjective IMO. I guess what matters is if you like it. Keep playing with position of the rocks and you will find what works for you mate. Or have a look at some of the fantastic scapes on this site for ideas / inspiration.

Regarding the stand take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6218

Might give an idea of how to hang the light. Should not take too much diy to knock up.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Dave

Thanks folks!

Co2 diffuser has just arrived and in one piece! Just set it all up and tested, just about ready to go! I've also changed to a black background, added more gravel and moved the rocks round a bit. Plants should arrive mid next week, so i'll probably do a 90% water change, and away we go!!!

More piccies to follow!

UPDATE!!

Tank finally finished! I'm about 90% happy with the layout.

Added 3 pots of H.C and 1 pot of E. Tenellus.

Tell me what you think.
img5342e.jpg

img5345t.jpg

img5346tl.jpg

img5348x.jpg

img5350.jpg

img5351m.jpg

img5353.jpg

A nice start.

If I may just suggest something, consider the lighting, or at least the light 'spread' You've got a 'hot spot' in the middle.

Your HC at the side's, wont tank you for it. resulting in possibly really tight growth in the middle petering out at the edges. something to think about. :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
If I may just suggest something, consider the lighting, or at least the light 'spread' You've got a 'hot spot' in the middle.

Your HC at the side's, wont tank you for it. resulting in possibly really tight growth in the middle petering out at the edges. something to think about. :thumbup:

Cheers Mark!

I know this is going to be a problem, but i'm working on a lighting stand, possibly made of chrome pipe (much the same as yours I do believe!) Did you get all the bits from B&Q?

I've had a play and raising the light just by 5" or 6" completely eliminates the "hot spot"

At least in the mean time the HC in the middle should grow like the clappers!

Dunc

Also, I was just playing with the settings on the fancy camera and thought that this looked cool.

It's not actually any where near as dark as it looks in these piccies!

Dunc

I think it looks wicked. I shall try and knock something up this week.

Tank update! HC is already looking bigger and healthier, and is pearling away like mad!

E.Tenellus hasn't really done anything yet, but looks very green and healthy!

The HC is starting to grow really well, even around the edges, but this morning I noticed quite a bit of stringy algae starting to grow.

It's due for a 50% WC tonight..

Any ideas?

Also, the photo-period is currently 12-10pm, is that too much? Thought i'd keep it long to give the HC a good start before adding fish!

Back