Dusko's Algae Guide

dw1305

Expert
Joined
7 Apr 2008
Messages
9,783
Location
nr Bath
Hi all,
I hear H2O works wonders
You mean the deadly "dihydrogen monoxide", that is <"scary stuff">.
Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Should you be concerned?

Yes, you should be concerned about DHMO! Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.
cheers Darrel
 

Tom Michael

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2014
Messages
189
Yes - however only on anubias, any other softer leaf plants you run the risk of damaging the leaf, which if so I would suggest immediate removal as if it rots in the water this will only contribute to the problem
 
Top