• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch Nature style

Yo-han

Being Dutch and leaving the paths of my ancestors, I explored nature style. Made half a dozen scapes till now and some failed rigorously, others just missed the X factor. From Iwagumi till collecteritus, but I'll show you the latest (almost) 400L tank. Remember most pictures are just mobile made and not meant for posting.

I'm looking for critcism. I like the right half but the left half is a little week IMO. Maybe it needs more wood. And I also think it is because the P. erectus is a little rigid (bad choice of words:facepalm:). Easy thing would be pulling it out and replacing it with the green Rotala, but perhaps someone else has a good suggestion. Here some progress pictures:
4lq34m.jpg

20qc6bp.jpg

30t2utt.jpg

2nichau.jpg

etglrs.jpg

k12hrr.jpg

This is epic.
Personally i really like the Pogostemon.
One observation, is the 'circular' gap in the wood, dead centre is the thing i'm drawn to straight away.
Is that T.Espei & P.Simulans in there? Very nice

This is epic.
One observation, is the 'circular' gap in the wood, dead centre is the thing i'm drawn to straight away.

Yes, and H. herbertaxelrodi, others:
10 N. marginatus (and some N. marginatus picturatus) which are all over 5 years old
x number of Otocinclus
Caridina parvidentata and amano shrimp
6 Corydoras sterbai and 1 invincible C. leucomelas of at least 7 years old
5 Kuhlli's
2 Jordanella floridae
1 Panaqolus maccus
1 Aplocheilichtys normani which was given to me and fortunately doesn't jump

I tend to view the hardscaping if Nature style as the most aesthetically pleasing aspect.
Dutch has a lot of colors and nice groups, but why limit to that?

The nature style also has some very Dutch like background plantings, so I would use that in the rear.
Lots of nice color, yellows reds, greens.

Mid: wood/hardscape.Ferns etc, then nice ordered groupings, they can repeat etc if you wish, or cut a longer line than NBAT rules certainly.........and then the foreground.
Transitions with Staro/Bylxa etc will do nicely.

Never been much of a purist, never cared enough about it to go that direction.
I reckon folks have already done plenty of such tanks already.

This is epic.

Today is the first time I noticed that the right piece of wood has tumbled. Didn't notice it until I looked back on the first pictures.So the circular gap wasn't planned;)

Hi Yo-han,

You have a lovely tank - nice plants, good hardscape, overall impression is pleasing...

I'm looking for critcism.
But it lacks some strong midground planting, particularly on the left and right. From the photo I can see some crypts I think, but they are not bold enough.

The main impact is the very low foreground planting (glosso), then straight into the lovely tall stems. The contrast is too much and needs some transitional planting. Crypts are great for this (also Bylxa if you want finer textures) but I think you need more and they need to come forward. Another option would be to use some stones between the glosso and stems.

I also think the centre of the layout could be improved. It's a little messy with no real structure. Consider having glosso running all the way to the back of the tank and removing all other visible planting in the central area between the wood to emphasise the open space that is framed by your lovely hardscape. You could further enhance the sense of depth by sloping the substrate further in the centre. This is why you see so many sand pathways etc. in Nature Aquarium style aquascaping, as it's a great way to give an illusion of further depth.

Moss on the wood would work well too.

These are just some of my ideas and are Nature Aquarium-bias. You asked for criticism - I hope you find it constructive. :)

Cheers,
George

Hi Yo-han

Good to see you here too! Your tank looks awesome, nice & lush growth in there. I'll share it on our Facebook-page! :)

Cheers
Gilles

But it lacks some strong midground planting, particularly on the left and right. From the photo I can see some crypts I think, but they are not bold enough.

I fully agree, I did placed a C. pontederiifolia on the left already but it is still small. Maybe I need to place another big one on the right as well indeed.

The main impact is the very low foreground planting (glosso), then straight into the lovely tall stems. The contrast is too much and needs some transitional planting. Crypts are great for this (also Bylxa if you want finer textures) but I think you need more and they need to come forward. Another option would be to use some stones between the glosso and stems.

Very good suggestion. The crypts are too much below the wood, placing them a little forward might be a good idea to improve the transition.

I also think the centre of the layout could be improved. It's a little messy with no real structure. Consider having glosso running all the way to the back of the tank and removing all other visible planting in the central area between the wood to emphasise the open space that is framed by your lovely hardscape. You could further enhance the sense of depth by sloping the substrate further in the centre. This is why you see so many sand pathways etc. in Nature Aquarium style aquascaping, as it's a great way to give an illusion of further depth.

The glosso running all the way to the back was the original idea. I planted it but it didn't grow there, maybe too much shade. So I replaced them with Staurogyne, another plan was to make a sand path, but this is more work to keep nice.

Moss on the wood would work well too. These are just some of my ideas and are Nature Aquarium-bias. You asked for criticism - I hope you find it constructive. :)

More moss? Love the wood, wouldn't it ruin the hardscape?

Constructive? Yes, thank you!

Added a few Crypts to the midground. Will need to make some time for extra moss. The more I look at it, the bolder the wood looks and it needs Fissidens!

Experimented with some backgrounds.
No background:
nycieh.jpg

White background (may need some backlighting): (corrected version)
b5pk05-jpg.314.jpg

Black background:
kdlsfc.jpg

Opinions appreciated!

It's a matter of taste. I've always had black backgrounds in my tanks but I nearly always wind up with a crowded jungle-style planting - not too dissimilar to your nice tank. The white backgrounds do look good in the (to my view) sparsely planted Amano-style tanks.

For me it's definitely the black background... much more peaceful and relaxing to look at.

What a beautiful tank you have! (seen it before on a Dutch forum).

Back