• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Cichild....?

kev88

Hey all,

I watched a program on Discovery the other night called Mutant Planet. They clamed the Cichild are the smartest fish on earth! was pretty intrigued by the documentary so was interested in maybe keeping them.

Is there such things as dwarf cichild as i have a nano tank..

Dwarf cichlids are small, especially the females, how big is your tank?

Also Dwarf cichlids from South america prefer very soft acidic water.

A few Species for you to look at are;
Dicrossus filamentosus
Apistogramma agassizi
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma bitaeniata
Apistogramma pebas
Apistogramma hoignei
Apistogramma eunotus
Pelvicachromis pulcher(west african)

There are plenty more Apistogramma to choose from, also German Blue rams are nice. All depends on your water quality and tank size mate.

Have a read on here http://www.apistogramma.co.uk/

Matt

There are small cichlid's. Microgeophagus ramirezi is a popular one. Generally called rams. They are very nice.
Would imagine they would make short work of any shrimp you may have in there though.

Dont know your tank size but even these smaller cichlids require more space than a nano I would imagine.
Water quality also has to be excellent for cichlids. No slacking on the water changes

my tank is 25 litlers with shrimp and endlers....

do you know where i might be able to pick some up in london...? my local is ADC and whole sale tropics

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think thats big enough, as you already have other fish.

I dont even think it would be big enough if that was the only fish you had. These guys need a bit of space.
As mentioned earlier they will soon drop the shrimp population as well

It would be an OK size for a few shellies (6 adults - max, but they will breed). ADC do several small shellies.

Say goodbye to all your shrimp though, and possibly the endlers depending on how quick they are. They are highly territorial, and will attack fish much much bigger than them to defend their area if need be. Anything smaller than them, in the lower area of the tank will not stand a chance.

Ah ok many thanks for all the above. Just looking for something a bit different with colour :)

Back