• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf gourami bloating

swyftfeet

Came back from work trip and the wife moved the girls fish into my planted tank b/c one of my mollies was preggers and the other fish eat the babies

This morning I see the gourami is bloated, not eating like normal and is just kinda hanging around, not swimming normally.

Wife said she plopped and dropped. Any ideas? Think its that virus that dwarf gourami get? or possible Dropsy?

The gourami is also doing surface gasps occasionally.

The two other fish are doing fine not exhibiting any odd behavior. Ammonia 0 Nitrate 0 Ph 7.8 same as always.

I have relatively High TDS in my tap and use the same source water in both tanks. The only difference is the tank has some NPK in it. That I put in before I left. just a tablespoon of MiracleGro.

9926313D-4D01-43BB-BA0C-E49EB662BF18.jpeg

Attachments

• C8CED816-DD52-47F4-A042-EEC71B215B85.jpeg
    C8CED816-DD52-47F4-A042-EEC71B215B85.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 357
My money is on Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus

Think I am dealing with this issue myself. Purchased what was advertised as a female honey gourami for my lone male honey but realized it was either a hybird or some other type of Dwarf Gourami when it grew to double the size of the little dude.

She is showing darkend scales/wounds and bloating round her belly, have a UV sterilizer added and treating the tank with esha 2000 but from what I read so far not much chances of recovery by this point so trying to psych myself up for euthanasia as I can't imagine its plesant for the fish :(

Think its that virus that dwarf gourami get?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'd probably prepare your girls for the worst. I've seen this a couple of times in dwarf gouramis and it never ended well. They tend to start thinning at the back end and have that bloating in the the stomach. The decline will probably start with surface gasping and then it will take refuge lower down in the tank.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

###############
Not a nice picture alert.
###############

If it follows the same path mine did it will eventually look like this.

Attachments

• 20210207_120519.jpg
    20210207_120519.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Sorry to hear :(.

It’s a shame how bad Dwarf gouramis have been bred, Gouramis are such fun fish to watch especially when they are investigating new things with their little feelers.

I was about to put an end to my female gourami but somehow she has perked up the wound has started healing over and swelling has gone down but it is still there.
7FFAF383-B403-4E2F-9CC7-445AC64DE695.jpeg

Not sure if I am just delaying the inevitable but I would feel bad euthanising her after showing signs of recovery

Last edited:
I’m having the same issue I think. Day 2 with my first dwarf gourami and it looks swollen. The fins were torn when I purchased it, I didn’t check the condition of the fish until I had gotten home as the others in the shop looked fine. Is this the Dwarf Gourami virus? The shop have offered to exchange it when they open up on Thursday.
IMG_3313.jpeg
IMG_3308.jpeg

Back