• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Puffer 70L Tank

Emyr

Setting up a hardscape dominated (they like lots of cover for territories) dwarf puffer fish tank. Thought I would start my first journal as I have wanted to start one for ages and now have the time. Going to keep it relatively low maintenance so that it can be sustainable plus so much easier, and as a result often more fun and enjoyable. Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

All thoughts, opinions, ideas and observations appreciated.

Tank: 60x30x40cm
Filter: Rena XP4
Lights: AquaFX 15W reduced intensity LED bar OR 18W fluorescent
Heater: Hydor 200W heater
Substrate: White sand
Hardscape: Bogwood, Mantanzania wood, Mini landscape rock
Ferts: TPN+, TPN and Excel (liquid carbon)
Water: 20% Tap water, 80% RO water
Fish: Ottos and Dwarf puffer fish, may try a few Amano shrimp
Plants: Anubias barteri, Anubias petite, Java moss, Fissidens fontanus, Java ferns, Azolla, Riccardia chamedryfolia (Coral moss small), Weeping moss, Monosolenium tenerum (Coral moss large)

scaled.php?server=846&filename=photo57r.jpg

Hardscape Layout.

this looks cool! Who doesnt love puffers :)
Like the dominant hardscape too.
Is the sand dyed? As i found it the artificial stuff goes a horrid colour pretty quick. Amano spent years finding pale sand/gravel that discolours slowly if you want low maintenance.

img00186201206061907.jpg

Decided to open up a space just left of centre to add a bit more depth and some variety.

Also decided that instead of the LED bar which I think maybe too powerful, however I would dim it and haven't had time to make a housing for it to sit on top of the tank yet, that, therefore Im thinking of maybe using the angle poise in the photo, which looks quite cool I think. I added an 18W daylight 6500K bulb to it and it seems pretty powerful. Apparently these new fluorescent energy saving bulbs produce way more light than the specified wattage. Even so do people think that will be enough light?

May add this bulb instead, thoughts? - http://www.johnlewis.com/231571433/Product.aspx

Got the filter and glassware set up now and ready to go. Just have to get the RO water, order the plants and decide on dosing and we're ready to go.

Hi,
much prefer it opened up a little, with the bright white sand it now has an area of focus in the scape.
Will look really nice when planted.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Really like the stark contrast between the hardscape and light silica. Especially now you have opened it up a bit. Can't help thinking the AquaFX option is better lighting mate. Do you have a link for that one you mentioned ?

Thanks. Agreed, seems to work really nicely, lots of nice textures and colours in there.

Yes I have been thinking and looking at it today and agree with you, I just need to finish building a housing for the LED bar and will put it on there reduced intensity I think it will be fine, should look a lot smarter than the angle poise.

Which one I mentioned?
http://www.aquafx.co.uk/epages/es108851.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es108851_shop/Products/FX500
There's a link for the AquaFx lighting bar.

Yes that was the one I was thinking of. I reckon that would be WAY better :) Although you could also consider a TMC grobeam if you are not worried about all the gizmos on the aquafx :thumbup:

Definitely will be. I think I was just considering whether it would be to much light and the time its taking to build the housing but will be worth it.
I already have an AquaFX unit so am going to go with that. Im just wondering if 15W (equivalent to 24W fluorescent) directly above the tank would be to much and I would need to reduce it, thoughts?

you going to use the DSM or just plant and fill? Amazing scape almost too cool for just some puffers those feisty little guys. Cute lil buggers so as long as they aren't hunting your shrimps...

Love the tank, that hardscaping is brilliant almost to good to plant ;) :shh: .
Love my dwarf puffers aswell so cute when begging for food.

WabiKasuH20Fall said:
you going to use the DSM or just plant and fill? Amazing scape almost too cool for just some puffers those feisty little guys. Cute lil buggers so as long as they aren't hunting your shrimps...

Don't think there would be to much benefit of the dry start method in this tank as Im going with a minimal plant layout so will plant it up and fill straight up. Thanks, Im going to start off with some puffers as I have always wanted to keep them since I first saw them, found myself watching them for about half an hour in the shop :) I have also wanted to do a hardscape dominated neat jungle low-tech type layout as well and decided it would be perfect for them. After a while I may move the puffers and add a small shoal or something. What fish would you put in there?

OllieNZ said:
Love the tank, that hardscaping is brilliant almost to good to plant ;) :shh: .
Love my dwarf puffers aswell so cute when begging for food.

Thanks Ollie, I am going to be very cautious with my planting, I'm thinking it through at the moment, keeping it quite minimal, a few touches of green. Hopefully it will compliment the hardscape and add another really nice dimension to the tank.

Back