• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf snowball pleco in planted tank

Fred13

Hello!
I an wondering if a dwarf snowball pleco pair is a wise choise for my upcoming planted tank.
I would really love to have these fish , I know they are timid but beautiful.
My only concern is how those plecos behave to plants.
Plenty of articles mention that this particular hypancistrus sp. does not mess with the plants but still I am not convinced.
I would like to learn about your experiences..

In my limited experience with these beautiful fish the L471 will not harm your plants.

Whether or not its a wise choice for you to add them I can't really say, just be aware they like lots of hiding places and are masters of hide and seek.

This hiding trait makes them all the more endearing to me, not seeing them for a couple of days helps retain the "wow factor" when they do make an appearance. If however you're after a showpiece fish that will parade on request for the neighbours then this sp will probably disappoint.

Hello!
I an wondering if a dwarf snowball pleco pair is a wise choise for my upcoming planted tank.
I would really love to have these fish , I know they are timid but beautiful.
My only concern is how those plecos behave to plants.
Plenty of articles mention that this particular hypancistrus sp. does not mess with the plants but still I am not convinced.
I would like to learn about your experiences..
I'm looking to give these a try too. Have you found any for sale?

In my limited experience with these beautiful fish the L471 will not harm your plants.

Whether or not its a wise choice for you to add them I can't really say, just be aware they like lots of hiding places and are masters of hide and seek.

This hiding trait makes them all the more endearing to me, not seeing them for a couple of days helps retain the "wow factor" when they do make an appearance. If however you're after a showpiece fish that will parade on request for the neighbours then this sp will probably disappoint.
It is exactly what I love! Their hiding trait and their occasional appearances ! It gives a distinctive character to the aquarium.
My one and only concern are plants. I am happy to learn about your experience. It would be such a disaster to find your plants destroyed..

They like it reallllll warm by plant tank standards with 28c being the oft quoted “ideal” temp.

It would be such a disaster to find your plants destroyed.
Right on que the shy plec decides to make an appearance, photo taken about 5 minutes ago.
Please note no plants were harmed in the making of this picture.
20211106_123128.jpg
20211106_123011.jpg

Since then I've had one sight of a spotty tail that quickly disappeared...

I'm all for enigmatic fish but I'm hoping these find their confidence at some point!

Since then I've had one sight of a spotty tail that quickly disappeared...

I'm all for enigmatic fish but I'm hoping these find their confidence at some point!
Haha don’t get your hopes up with hypancistrus! A tail is normally the best you’ll get. In time they sometimes become confident enough to show when there is food around. Meaty Stuff like bloodworm, mussels, shrimp etc is good at luring them out.

Haha don’t get your hopes up with hypancistrus! A tail is normally the best you’ll get. In time they sometimes become confident enough to show when there is food around. Meaty Stuff like bloodworm, mussels, shrimp etc is good at luring them out.
Good tip Conor - thanks! I've got bloodworm sticks on the go but will use your advice as an excuse to add mussels to the Tesco order

👍👍😂 yes maybe
I found that my L027’s became more brave, after added 20 rummy nosed tetra’s
They tend to prefer shaded areas, i guess they will become braver with age

Back