• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EA 900 few questions

Deano3

Hi everyone as some of you may know i have ordered my tank and its due July so looking forward to that.

I am still undecided on a few things, firstly I have a oase 600 thermo and i also have a eheim skim 350 I am undecided whether to use the skim as well as the oase with normal glass lily pipes or just get the aquascaper set with built in skimmer ?
Or do you think the skim will provide a little extra flow as I will put at the opposite side to the outflow?

I purchased 2x9l bags of tropica soil today I will be dosing EI should I start dosing straight off the bat? Also, I will be unsure of BPS but suppose will be trial and error.

I will be moving my plants from my current setup or some of them into the new setup with new plants so will still do daily or every other day water changes not sure how to transfer my filter media but think I will wait till cycled then change over my bag of seachem matrix media.

Sure I will think of loads more but any help welcome.
Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi dean,

I used just the EA skim set on my 900 on for a long time.

Plant mass grew up and I was having trouble with flow distributing the co2. Didn’t think much of it. Put it down to ferts.

I broke my glassware during lockdown so was unable to buy another so changed to a standard inlet and added my eheim skim.

hey presto co2 seemed corrected.

I think this speaks more about my hardscape and plant mass than anything else. It needed the extra flow.

so I’d suggest using just the filter to begin with and suck and see. However 2 skims will add the extra flow and masses of oxygen so a benefit. But this will gas of co2. Not an issue just will use more. Try it and see!

a pic of my tank to help explain my problem, please excuse the lack of maintenance.
Going through a can’t be a***d phase!😂

D7B6A622-6F22-451C-90ED-8666E2423C0C.jpeg

Hi dean,

Plant mass grew up and I was having trouble with flow distributing the co2. Didn’t think much of it. Put it down to ferts.

I broke my glassware during lockdown so was unable to buy another so changed to a standard inlet and added my eheim skim.

I think this speaks more about my hardscape and plant mass than anything else. It needed the extra flow.

so I’d suggest using just the filter to begin with and suck and see. However 2 skims will add the extra flow and masses of oxygen so a benefit. But this will gas of co2. Not an issue just will use more. Try it and see!

a pic of my tank to help explain my problem, please excuse the lack of maintenance.
Going through a can’t be a***d phase!

View attachment 150662
we all go through them Stunning tank mate i dont have any lily pipes at all yet didnt know weather to buy the EA set or a standard set without the skim and just use the eheim 350.

So do u think buy the EA lily set ? I was lookomg at ista regular lily pipes without the skim , Then if needed add the eheim.

Thanks dean

I’d go with the EA skim set and the add the eheim skim if need be,

money no option buy a standard inlet as well. You any wish to use it in the future and will have it in hand if you break the skim one! 😂

I’d go with the EA skim set and the add the eheim skim if need be,

money no option buy a standard inlet as well. You any wish to use it in the future and will have it in hand if you break the skim one!
nore than likely be a break i went through a phase of breaking thermometers when removed for maintenance pitting down and stepping on them etc i always place ontop of light now for safe keeping haha.

Only thing that puts me off the EA set us the large inlet as sticks right into tank

By the way i was at horizon aquatics today and you can but the EA inlet and outlet separate for exactly half the price so if any break not to bad but hopefully not.

Thanks mate

Also not decided on a sterilizer i have had the m5 twinstar in my 45p and never had bad algae so should i buy the larger one for my ea900

Think j will gl for the EA skim set looks good on some 900 setups on line.

Thanks again mate

Hi dean,

Going through a can’t be a***d phase!😂

View attachment 150662
Holy Moses, please tell me you have a journal of this tank? Or at least tell me your address and times you're out of the house...;)

I'm not great with fish names but how is my guess?
Cardinal tetra
Ember tetra
Amano shrimp
Tyre track nerite snail
Rhombo barb?

should i buy the larger one for my ea900 //emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji848.png
It won’t do any harm and helps protect fish from CO2 overdose ... if you’ve the funds, nothing against it

If funds are limited, probably better to spend the additional on plants - plant densely at start, include auxiliary plants etc - followed by water change water change
And this will be equally effective at limiting algae :cool:

I purchased 2x9l bags of tropica soil today
Ended up using just over 3 bags on mine.

I will be dosing EI should I start dosing straight off the bat?
Yeah dose straight away, with a water change every couple of days for the first week or two!

I will be unsure of BPS but suppose will be trial and error.
No trial and error, if you have no stock start high and use a drop checker to measure the CO2 and then reduce until you have lime green. If you have stock do it the other way round, start safe and then slowly increase and monitor drop checker and fish behaviour.

Back