• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Earthworms in substrate, how to remove?

FishBeast

I have noticed that there are some earthworms in my DIY substrate. I figure that either there were some worms in it that I was not aware of or perhaps some worm eggs that got in via dosing the emersed setup worm pee.

I am wondering if you guys would have any suggestions as to how I can remove them? There is one section of the tank were the worm/s are unearthing the composted substrate to above the capping and burying the HC around it.

My only idea is to fill the tank with enough water to cover the substrate and wait until they come to the surface. My concern though is what adding the water might do to the HC. I am hoping that I can remove the worms in 30 mins to 1hr max.

Do you think that this may be enough to cause the HC to melt?

Thanks guys

Hi, I wouldn't drown them as if they can't all escape they will rot and you will have more problems. Have you ever smelt a pot of rotten worms? I'm gagging thinking about the smell.:D I thinking what else may have escaped the eye along with the worms. if you can find where they are having the orgy,remove that area. Or I'd remove it all and start again personally. wait for more replies first as you can't be the only person who's had this happen. Cheers kirk.

Lol, I'm a fisherman:D I've banged the lawn with a spade never worked for me. Always found fairy liquid bubbles bursting on the grass mimics rain better. Yet to try taking my socks off and copy the birds. (UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE FAIRY IN YOUR TANK JUST THOUGHT ID BETTER ADD THAT)

When you add water, the worms come to the surface. I can then remove them. Earth worms can survive under water if the water is very oxygenated I have read.

how about get the soil damp, get a car battery with some jump lead and 2 metal rods, dig the rods at at opposite ends of the tank then attach the leads to the battery then onto the rods, the worms will then come to the surface, i've seen this being done but not sure the method is correct

That's awsome:D I still think fairy is easier.;) especially at 5 am.

No more April fools it's past 12.:D I've been wondering about certain threads today.:)

Last edited:
Would the rods and car battery be enough so that you won't need to spend any money on a lighting kit after you've caught the worms.?:playful:

Would the rods and car battery be enough so that you won't need to spend any money on a lighting kit after you've caught the worms.?:playful:
As long as the lights run on 12v ypu could always use under car neons :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I have been picking them out every morning when they are above the surface which has stopped them.

Earthworms can remain submersed for 3 months without any probs - sounds like getting them out could be tricky! Good luck finding them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back