• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easiest plants for low-light/no Co2!

Might have found the basil looking plant, it was either gymnocoronis spilanthoides or Limnophila Rugosa. The latter is apparently called the basil-leaf limnophila. The first one grows amazingly fast apparently, so that matches my memory of it being extremely easy to keep and propagate.

While looking into this, I found she's written a smaller book which is very affordable, but apparently only available in German. This one is £7.79, so I ordered one, - I love books. :)
I'll let you know what it's like next week.
Paperback
I think @jaypeecee has decided to take the plunge and THE book. But for any-one else following this, who can't justify the cost, here's my impression of the cheaper Kasselmann book.
It's quite a bit smaller and the photos are smaller too; pages (126 of them) are 13x19cm, photos of individual species are 16x18cm plus about a dozen full page ones. The quality of the photos is very good and there are 200 species described and illustrated.
Although the text is in German there are little charts giving basic info, plant height, tank size, temp, pH and growth rate, the last is in German but you probably know schnell is fast, you can guess mittel is middle, which just leaves langsam which you have worked out is slow.
The origins are easy enough; eg Vorkommen: Madagaskar or Vorkommen: Tropen Amerikas.
For the rest of the text, if you struggle through a few species with a German/English dictionary or an on-line translator you will soon pick up some key words that get used a lot when discussing aquarium plants, then your reading gets quicker. I've done it with German fish books, now I've got a plant book to work through. :)
I can already see that, like the fish books, there's a fairly limited vocabulary, although a lot of it isn't taught in high school German. :)
For less than 8 quid, delivered, I think it's well worth having for the photos and charts even if you can't be bothered with wading through the text.
Of course, if you're fluent in German ( I'm not! ) it's a no-brainer.

Back