• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy/hardy low tech floating plants

Sianita

I'm looking for suggestions for any easy to keep (low tech) and hardy floating plants suitable for a 10 gallon quarantine tank.

I'm totally new to plants and really have only researched the plants I want for my main tank so sadly I only know about duckweed and I really dont want to go there haha :/

Thanks in advance

There's really nothing wrong with duckweed if you have something that'll eat them out you can just scoop them up and use them as fertiliser for terrestrial plants. After I discovered that my goldfish would eat them, I'm praying for them to grow faster!

Sadly I wont be keeping anything that will eat them and tbh I know that after a while I get annoyed with the constant rapid growth haha

Hi Sianita
If its a open top tank...there are a few floaters that are available....condensation can be a problem for Amazon Frogbit and Salvinia Culcullata...mould can occur on Salvinia Culcullata if its a enclosed aquarium!
Aquatic Snails love to lay their eggs underneath the leaves of Amazon Frogbit!

Actually some stem plants that don't require high Co2 requirements can be used as floating plants, as long as you give them fertilizers and enough lighting!
Cheers
hoggie

Floaters
Riccia.
Phyllanthus fluitans.
Salvinia.
Pistia stratiotes.
Limnobium laevigatum.

Stem plants used as floaters!
Ceratophyllum demersum.
Hygrophila difformis.
Ceratopteris thalictroides.
Elodea.
Hygrophila polysperma.
Hygroryza aristata.
Ludwigia.

Cheers
hoggie

Thank you all so much! I have lots to go and look up now!
I am not 100% on wether to have open top tanks (display and quarantine) or to use plastic greenhouse roofing as a lid to help with condensation. In the past I did have a couple fish jump out of my non planted tank so its a worry I have.
I definitely like the sound of najas guadalupensis but will look into it.
Thanks again everyone!

Aponogeton sp... The ones that do not have a rest periode required.. Hard to find but a treat. :) (for open top.)
Aponogeton-satarensis.jpg

Back