• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy(!) plant ludwigia palustrus sp red not so easy

dcurzon

Bought this one from an eBay seller, and on arrival they looked good and a reasonable bundle of stems, and they had lots of red. So in they went.

Leaves dropping, colouration going green/brown, and generally not looking happy. It's now about 3 weeks later...

72litre
Inhabitants: cherry shrimp, neon tetras.

Other plants:
Dhg
Dwarf sag
Hygro poly
Tiger lotus
Hydrocotyle jap
Lobelia cardinalslis
Crypto crispulata

Substrate: tropica soil powder
Ei dosing
Co2 light green on the drop checker

A few snippings of this have been thrown into a small 12l tank with the snips put into pots also with tropica, with (DIY)co2 fed into bell, with a regular foam filter, but with no ei dosing. It might get the occasional top up from water change waste. And thosencuttings are growing good red leaves and stem.

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_190031.jpg
    IMG_20201129_190031.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20201129_190101.jpg
    IMG_20201129_190101.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20201129_190038.jpg
    IMG_20201129_190038.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20201129_191050.jpg
    IMG_20201129_191050.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Might not a total answer but sure have read on the threads about letting plants float loosely in the water column for a time before putting in the substrate.

Hi this doesn't look like Palustris. More like Repens. In any case it should take a few weeks for them to adapt to your tank. Patience is the key. If the tops start growing then you should be ok and soon you can plant those and discard if the bare bottom stems.

Ludwigia....equals water 🌊changes!
Give a link to the ebay item....I will have a look🕵️‍♂️

6+ Ludwigia Palustris Red - Tropical live aquarium plant - 1 Bunch Easy Grow | eBay

purchased 16 sept, so actually I've had it in longer than I realised!
Water change schedule is roughly 50% weekly.

Yesterday I took a single small cutting that id put into my smaller 12l tank, and put into another tank that has absolutely nothing in it at all except an airlift filter to circulate water and very low light, and given a one off dose of micro only. the only thing it has for company is a single cutting of egeria of a similar height. Maybe they'll have a race! However I can say that cutting looks like a good red example.

Thanks guys, I'll let it grow and chop/replant and see where it goes.

Here's the cutting of a cutting that I put in its own for comparison. Its in a bowl so probably distorted size wise, but I think looks healthier

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_091550.jpg
    IMG_20201130_091550.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 168
Not all Luwidgia are equal or easy. I have high tech medium light, and can grow L broadleaf (repens) and L narrow leaf (hybrid repens x arcuata) but not L super red ( palustris). The leaves of palustris dropped off one by one, stunt, curled, and failed to grow. I lost it.

I would like to try ovalis, a SE Asian species, and wonder if it is easy for me.

Back