• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EasyCarbo killing fish?

Matti

I've been adding EasyCarbo glutaraldehyde to remove BBA, and my fish are dying!
I was allready suspicious about the stuff, so I tried to be careful. I dosed 3days the first week, did a 30% water change and dosed again 3days the next week.
The result is that I lost half of my sparkling gouramis! And cannot say if it had any effect what so ever on the BBA.
It's a 55l jungle scape and the dose was 2ml/day. That's twice the recommended.
I cannot think of any other reason than the glut, as all the water parameters are ok, good filter, tank clean.

Hi
I have used/use the product and haven't seen any ill effects on live stock.I had Pseudomugil furcatus spawn and hatch in tank x5 the dose in past(2009) too.
However I am not aware if anything changed in regards of its composition over the years and it depends how(where)you dose it in the tank.I always dose away from fish/plants(unless spot dosing algae) to avoid exposure to high concentration.It seem my Bucephalandra in my tank didn't like it at all lately(even in recommended dose) and started throwing leaves and melting roots tho.
Care needs to be taken when using this product as its potent stuff.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was the cause but I stopped using it as I noticed a correlation between using it and fish dying. I've lost 3 honey gourami but none since I stopped using EasyCarbo. Also think it has killed some corydoras so maybe it's something to do with them breathing from the surface.

I am one of those people who has always dosed ECarbo. Always on the lower end of the dose. Now I hardly use it as had some plants reacting badly.
Personally I wouldn’t dose to the higher end. It says 2ml for 50 Ltrs but not recommende?
Pretty sure that there’s other ways to get rid of the Agae.
Good luck!

Overdosing the water column with a Biocide will be having a greater effect on beneficial bacteria within the tank that is responsible for the Nitrogen cycle thus leaving the occupants vulnerable to either Ammonia/Ammonium or Nitrite.

If your water change water is municipal tap water ensure you have dealt with the possibility of it containing either Chlorine or Chloramine by using a Tap Water conditioner.

The best way to treat for BBA is to spot dose either the Gluteraldehyde or alternatively 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, to reduce negative collateral effects you can massively increase the accuracy by draining the tank to expose the BBA and use the treatment of choice delivered by a paintbrush.

If you need a liquid carbon supplement for the carbon and not it’s biocidal properties then using either Humic or Fulvic acid based supplements can be used and safely overdosed.

For control of Algae (widespread water column dosing and supplying carbon) Ethanol can also be used but you need to be careful with the dose, an off the shelf easy to dose supplement you can source is RedSea NO3PO4-X.

:)

I've been adding EasyCarbo glutaraldehyde to remove BBA, and my fish are dying!
Can only add anecdotal advise. Used excel about 8 months ago (prescribed dose)for a few weeks.. fish got sick (fin rot). Stopped using it and fish recovered. Started using again recently and.... fish sickness returned (bacterial infection.)

Lots of people use this on a daily basis and don't see any adverse effects to their fish, I'd suggest the folks doing this spend far to much time monitoring the plants, and not enough time watching the fish.

For me long term glutaraldehyde useage will eventually cause problems regards fish health.

And now I noticed that my pest snail have disappeared. I don't really miss them, but still, never going to use glut again.

I've found that spot dosing H202 is much safer. I've also discontinued Glut usage as it always seems to melt a few plants.

Just found this tread having used floragrow carbo and lost 8 fish in the tank.
I'd added some new fish and at the tue bought the floragrow carbo but left it a few days before adding to let the new fish settle in. Day 1 added, and next day one of the Corys dead, added for a second day and noticed one of my older Platties with white lips, not fluffy just tips white.
I stopped using the floragrow carbo, but the deaths continued noticed 2 Corys where the mouths looked eaten away, fearing this carbo was the cause I did a 50% water change.
Had another three fish die, two of these being Coolie Loaches that I'd had a few years, while they were old, to lose them both within a day of each other was strange.
The Corys took the biggest hit, 5 lost with 1 remaining, it's mouth looks fine so hope that I've stopped whatever it was I started. Apart from the Plattie, they were all bottom feeders. I have a Clown Loach, flying fox, Plec and two Golden Loaches that so far appear fine.
Can't beleive that floragrow carbo could/would do this, but I changed nothing else and for now can only wait. Will be doing another water change tomorrow.

Back