• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus 'Ozelot' sprouting on flower stem?

Cro

A couple of weeks ago I planted an Echinodorus 'Ozelot' and it seems to be sprouting roots from the flower stem.

Is this normal?

Can I prune to get more plants? if so what's the best method?

P1010896.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Alex

This is perfectly normal. What you have are some adventitious plantlets growing at the nodes of the flower stem. Leave them to get as big as possible on the flower stem (or as long as you can bear them being there!) and then cut them off and plant them.

Ed Seeley said:
This is perfectly normal. What you have are some adventitious plantlets growing at the nodes of the flower stem. Leave them to get as big as possible on the flower stem (or as long as you can bear them being there!) and then cut them off and plant them.
Excellent news, tyvm. :thumbup: Any tips on planting them or do I just shove 'em in leaving a little sticking out of the substrate?

Cro said:
Ed Seeley said:
Excellent news, tyvm. :thumbup: Any tips on planting them or do I just shove 'em in leaving a little sticking out of the substrate?

Let them carry on growing and then plant them just like any other Echinodorus. Bury the roots and keep the leaf bases above the substrate.

Back