• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus schlueteri

GOSEANY

On the adventitious stem of the Echinodorus schlueteri plant in my aquarium there is a smaller plant growing on the end, about halfway along this stem is what looks like the beginning of another plant (2 small leaves and what look like two root stubs).
Does anyone know if this will turn into another small plant or will it only mature if I remove the small plant that is growing on the tip of the stem?. It has not increased in size while the plant at the tip of the stem has grown.

Sean

Yes, Echinodorus often propagate themselves in this way. These are plantlets whic will slowly grow and can be cut off and planted later. You can leave it until it gets a little larger. Sometimes, instead a plantlet at the end, the growth turns out to be a single leaf on a pole.

Cheers,

thanks for the reply, I am specifically on about the growth halfway down the stem. Are you confirming that this will turn into a small plant also? Will removing the plant at the tip help it's development?

cheers
Sean

Hi,
Yes, confirmed. Any growth along this "tentacle" is a plantlet. They use the stem to feed from the main plant as well as feeding from the water column so it's optional whether you leave it to grow more or cut it. Your water column dosing can affect it's growth rate as with the other plants so the answer depends on how you dose. I tend to let them grow to about an inch or two before cutting them as they can get uprooted or otherwise molested by substrate level fish, or the get hidden and smothered for light by the canopy of leaves growing above them.

Cheers,

Back