• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus with flower steam

H..

I got this Echinodorus palafoliusen for about six weeks ago, and it came as a small shot only. It has now set a flower stlk already.

It has shot 10-15 new leaves after planting, some are removed. And allready now it has set an flower stalk.

I think this was very early / good, considering that I have other Echinodorus that are much bigger and older and they have not put anything but new leaves.

Is palafolius unusually easy to bring into flower? or what is it that have triggered it?

This and other Echinodorus I have I fertilize with what I have called NutriH. (small nuticius balls embedded in clay). Now I have experimented a bit with these green flower pins, but I am not sure if I have such pins right under this palafolius.

It should be added that the tank is CO2 enriched with 60 bbls per minute 24 / 7. and that it bubbles plenty of other plants, growing well in other words.

But I would be interested to know what it is that triggers the right floral composition of a plant. (Suspect N P K ratio in the fertilizer).

See the plant:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70365919@N ... hotostream

H.

I can honestly say I've had the same in my tank. Only one of my echinodorous plants has sebtout a flower stem. Their all big tropica plants but only one has done so. I can't work out why the others don't, but they don't do it very often anyway. I know some only do it the once. Obviously conditions are spot in in your tank as its very happy.

The thing about this one is that the plant is so young, only six weeks in water, and som more on the motherplant.
it was 10cm tall and about 8-10 leaves when I got it.

I have an E.rubin that is two years old and I want it to flower. I need the trigger for it.

H.

Anything could trigger flowering I doubt it has much to do with fertilizer levels, It could be Bad water conditions, good water conditions, large water changes, Being emerged during a water change....

Just be happy its flowering and enjoy it!

I am happy.

And i want to be more happy!!!

I love my E rubin and E. ozelot and have been waiting fore them to flower.

H.

In Nature the usual trigger for flowering is photoperiod it could be that your lights are on for the right amount of hours for that particular plant to triiger into flowering, you could start slowly reducing your photoperiod to see if that triggers some of the others, in other words try to fool them into thinking Autum is approaching, I'm no expert tho' just a thought.

Arana- Thanks for reply, but these plants come from the tropics. The daylight hours does not vary over the year when you are nerar the equator. Why should this be an important trigger?

H.

H.. said:
Arana- Thanks for reply, but these plants come from the tropics. The daylight hours does not vary over the year when you are nerar the equator. Why should this be an important trigger?

H.

I have no idea mate it was just an idea, something in their natural enviroment must trigger them tho' but if not photoperiod then maybe temp but i am just guessing.

OK

I belive that rainperiod has good effekt on echinodorus, and also nutrition levels due to theese periods.

Anyone agree? And how can i trigger other echinodoruses?

H.

OK i just googled "photoperiod in tropical plants" and found a few studdies that say terrestial plants in the tropics are triggered by photoperiod and in some cases a difference of only 15mins in the availble daylight is enough! not sure if it is the same in aquatic plants tho', intersting subject worthy of more research i'd say

Nice reserch, thank you. I will keep that in mind. Arana

H.

Back