echolaris parvula ? invasive how to control

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by tko187, 22 Dec 2009.

1. tko187

tko187 Member

Hi I have this plant in my tank and noticed that it is spreading quite quickly, the problem is it is spreading runners all over the place, where I don't really want it to go, any suggestions on how to control this?
    Thanks again!!

2. samc

samc Member

TBH i dont think there is an easy way to control it apart from inserting barriers. but that may be impracticle at this stage.

if it could be done, find some clear plastic strips and insert them into the substrate to stop it. if not then you will have to trim the runners off if they are above the substrate. IMO i like to see it spread, it looks really nice mixed with hc :D

3. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

At the end of the day, a good old pair of scissors is all you need.

Dave.

4. tko187

tko187 Member

Ok so ill just leave it, starting to like it mixing in with the hc, looks nice. Thank you.

5. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

As it makes it's way into the HC, I'd be interested to know if you end up with both living together, Eleocharis dominating or HC dominating.

I'm personally not convinced eleocharis species are "community" plants. Anyone else ended up with just a tank of it?

cheers

Gary

6. chilled84

chilled84 Member

You know what, I wish i actualy had this plant and with it doing what you say. Im jealous. :D

7. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

The HC tends to break out over the top of the E. parvula. A narrow depth of field put the HC out of focus in the pic below, but it shows the HC climbing out over the top of the grass.

LB006psss.jpg

The two aren`t directly compatible in my experience, but they look nice side by side, each given their own space.

The Eleocharis sp are generally excellent for planted tank mid and fore ground. Personally, I am not a fan of E. vivipara, but this plant is a different proposition altogether, when compared to E. parvula and acicularis. As always, good maintenance will prevent any plant from taking over.

Dave.

8. daniel19831123

daniel19831123 Member

I've read somewhere about the hair grass species that it proliferates well with allelopathy. There has been research out there that uses hair grass as one of the possible allelopathic plants to control invasive weed such as duck weed and water lettuce. However not many of the studies concluded that this is the best plant for the purpose.

Jim in TGM is convinced that the hair grass is causing the problem in his ex- neon tank causing the urtricularia to not perform well. I was curious and hence have read up about this.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4043268
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/y2036467l7862118/