• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EDDHA Fe color

LMuhlen

I'm trying EDDHA Fe in my tank to see if it changes anything for the plants. I was under the impression that below 0.2ppm it would create a slightly noticeable taint in water.

Using butterfly calculator, for my 300L tank and a 0.1ppm weekly dose, it says I should dose 0.5g.

But this amount makes my water super dark, it looks like a blackwater tank. It is actually an interesting look, but not what I had in mind.

Is this what is supposed to happen at this concentration, were my expectations unfounded? Or maybe there is something wrong with the calculator or maybe my Fe supplement?

I've read that 0.1ppm is the 'borderline' between visibility and invisibility.
I've never added 0.1ppm directly, but 0.05ppm on two consecutive days didn't cause a problem for me.
My package says EDDHA-Fe 6%.

Im seeing pink tint of my water at the end of the week at 0.025ppm FeEDDHA weekly. Might depend on your plants and conditions but your 0.2 pmm sounds like a lot
I mentioned the 0.2ppm because in the rotalabutterfly there is a warning and a link to a video showing what 0.2ppm looks like. It doesn't look too bad. But in my tank I'm adding 0.1ppm only, once a week.

It is a new tank and I'm doing 2 water chances a week, 50% each, so after the next water chance it loses part of the tint.

But before that it is black water... Heckel discus would feel right at home in there.

Having used Fe EDDHA in the pass, my logic was that if there is the slightest pink tinge in the water then Fe is in abundance - Job done. There is no magic ppm for any nutrient IMO - we just need them in abundance or just enough. Having some nutrients in too much of an abundance may lead to other nutrients being blocked from uptake.

I agree that there are no magic values that work for everything. However, is there any base for this idea of using just enough to start a slight tinge of pink, or is it more of a convenience of not having it visible?

In my case, since the math is pretty straightforward knowing that it has 6% Fe, what could make it tinge the water so much at this concentration? Maybe it has more Fe than intended? Or less? Or they add red paint to sell fake iron? Or something in my water reacts in a weird way?

It's just some substances work as dyes. Take acriflavin, malachite green, potassium permanganate, and iron gluconate as well.

Thank you all for the answers.

I don't have a problem with reducing the iron dosage, since this 0.1ppm was mostly pulled out of a hat, it was just a value which I see people using.

My concern with using the water color as an indicator is that, since I'm getting a much stronger tinge than expected for this concentration, as I've seen reports that suggest that 0.1ppm should be barely noticeable, that there may be something wrong and what is barely noticeable in my tank is much less iron than what is barely noticeable for most people.

Hi all,
as I've seen reports that suggest that 0.1ppm should be barely noticeable, that there may be something wrong and what is barely noticeable in my tank is much less iron than what is barely noticeable for most people.
Honestly I'd give the <"pink tint"> method a go. It is <"nice and straight forward">.

If it doesn't work (it will take a while, because iron (Fe) isn't mobile within the plant) <"back to the drawing board">.

Have a look at <"Frogbit taken a turn"> & <"Iron deficiency and which chelator do I need?">.

cheers Darrel

Back