• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Edge of the Jungle

Some of the inspirational pics for this scape....at least the vines hanging down part :)
2F3F8E22-26CF-4FCB-BE6A-164755617899.jpeg
5ACB7D9E-7E0F-4F66-BE78-0D4A51D3F05D.jpeg
0B165A51-8ACB-4A7B-8280-C5688379E3BC.jpeg

25E5D9F8-1B31-494A-8133-AEBC18C82661.jpeg

Notice the “floating” rock?
There will be roots hanging from it half way down and roots all the way down on the right side aquarium wall.
I like the shadow effect the floating rock adds. Looks plain now but more roots will enhance the cave effect.

I might be tweaking small bits here and there before planting but the hardscape is officially done ...about time...
The majority of the hardscape will be covered and will serve as backbone for the various plants. I want this to look like a cave entrance or something along that line; not sure I can pull it off but I’ll try.
0D05DE98-4BAD-4F68-BF70-DA1404633C1B.jpeg

Howdy folks!
Been gone to Texas for the past 3 weeks with work.
Tank has been running on top offs and 2 hours of light and co2 per day. No algae and the moss /ottos didn’t die; I’m happy with that.

Going to plant the tank today.
Stay tuned...lots of gluing/planting for the next few hours.

any where near ADG?

Just found this journal - awesome finds :wideyed:

Where did you source your plants?
ADG is in Houston right?
I was in San Antonio.
I sourced the plants from Aquarium Zen in Seattle.
Too bad the Pinnatifida looked good in the sealed container but when I opened it, all leaves fell off the stalk.
So I glued only the stalks to the rock. Hopefully I haven’t lost them after all.

If the stalks are robust, they may slowly recover - if soft/mushy at all, just discard
When looking at tissue culture pots, look at the liquid or gel medium, it should be clear, pale etc and not discoloured or cloudy

Yeah, ADG is in Houston ( a mere 3h drive ;))

Upon closer look at the ADA pots I threw away, whatever I thought is H. Cuba is labeled Micranthemum sp.

Does that mean I got Monte Carlo? And if that’s the case, is the tissue culture Monte Carlo so small in the pot just as H. Cuba and is transitioning to a larger leaf afterwards?
I was 100% sure it’s H. Cuba since it was so tiny but now not so sure.
I’m not bummed at all; MC is fine; I just wanted to know exactly what I have.
All of it is glued down to the hardscape; I want it to grow downwards hanging from the edge of the rocks .

Does that mean I got Monte Carlo? And if that’s the case, is the tissue culture Monte Carlo so small in the pot just as H. Cuba and is transitioning to a larger leaf afterwards?
Yes, MC can appear very small leafed (and has a much smaller leaf when grown in a low energy setup)

One last pic before letting this grow in.
Will post another a month or so from now.
Installed the walnut frame around the front of the tank opening ; you can see it a little in this pic. Need to stain and lacquer it ...gives me something to do while plants grow.:)
98DE6962-EF8F-4412-8569-83D52E39D092.jpeg

Thanks everyone!
Changed the title of the journal as well. I think it really resembles some sort of a jungle more than anything else and the fact that there’s some sort of a beach going on...edge of the jungle it is:)

On another note, I’m wondering how I should be dosing the Tropica specialized and premium liquid fertilizers.(green and orange).
Some people only dose the premium(orange) that contains mainly micros for the first few weeks and until plant mass is large.
Some dose both in equal amounts.

Should I dose both in minimal amounts (1 pump = 2 ml /100L ) for the first few weeks and when plants really take off up the dosing ?

Tropica guidelines on dosing are low but I suppose you should up the ferts as plant mass increases.

I have dry salts as well for those wondering why waste money on water + minimal ferts but since I’m gone once in a while it’s easier for my wife to dose the liquid than measure dry salts.
A dosing pump sounds really appealing right now...

709F4E5E-B881-4B53-B7BD-CCEFF98E38FE.jpeg

The walnut face frame is now stained and lacquered.Some ambient light is hitting it in this pic...otherwise it blends in well with the Amazonia substrate :)
Decided to order some pinatifida uk from AFA San Francisco since there’s none locally.
Doing 5g water changes for the time being.
All good...

Last edited:
Back