• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Edge of the Jungle

Quick shot ...the green tetras can be spotted to the left.
Just planted/glued everything and light went off had a quick minute to take a pic.
Will assess any floaters tomorrow.
63553841-DDA8-40B3-8772-CF3B7467B682.jpeg

When flow is off the green neon tetras school very nicely.
C84940F7-B22F-4017-AF77-24D244107200.jpeg

I’m taking a break from uploading any pics of this tank for the next few weeks. Keep saying that lol

I’ll concentrate on setting up my kids tank (DOOA shallow ) right under this tank set up on the ledge at an angle . It’s a great time for it as we are being quarantined for a few more weeks and will have time to watch them work on it.
This thread has been a huge inspiration for this new tank...just awesome!
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/dooa-nano-pond-2-0-ug-and-re-scape.56055/

Lovely simulans! :)

would love ton setup a mini pond too but good luck fitting an filter for that dooa o_O

Lovely simulans! :)

would love ton setup a mini pond too but good luck fitting an filter for that dooa o_O
Cookies, no filter. I’ll run it just like the other guy without filter or any other water movement.
It could come out great or end up in total disaster;
however, Aquarium Zen in Seattle has one setup just like that and it’s doing well with no algae. Same light too so I’m pretty confident. I’m sure I took a picture of it at some point last year if I find it I’ll post it!

Cookies, no filter. I’ll run it just like the other guy without filter or any other water movement.
It could come out great or end up in total disaster;
however, Aquarium Zen in Seattle has one setup just like that and it’s doing well with no algae. Same light too so I’m pretty confident. I’m sure I took a picture of it at some point last year if I find it I’ll post it!

be aware that @Shinobi did daily water change to avoid algae and get good growth on his pond.;)

be aware that @Shinobi did daily water change to avoid algae and get good growth on his pond.;)
Yes took note of that he ended up with weekly WC in the end....it’s so easy to re-scape , clean etc that it will be pretty cool to let the kids play with it.
They’ll be the ones changing water, cleaning and trimming plants so less work for me :)

These days it's water change every 14 days or so and top off of evaporation every 3 days (there's a very limited amount of water, so it goes quickly). Once substrate has cycled, it becomes very easy to care for. With my latest rescape I just added a couple of substrate tabs from Tropica and saw a pretty substantial boom in growth a week later .
I used Amazonia which is notoriously high in ammonia during initial cycling, but a less nutritious soil could be applied to ease the startup

Good to know , thanks.

thinking of getting one too, I like the no filter concept but couldn’t do daily WC so will use tropica soil. ;)

I was gonna get some locally if the nurseries around here carry it or this one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Umbrella-Palm-Plant-Cyperus-Alternifolius/dp/B01LVUTUI9
What do you think?
Not sure where I would find cuttings...

When you get it, plant some outdoors in a sunny spot this summer and it will grow fast and flower and carry tons of seeds you can collect around August and have an unlimited supply of cyperus forever.

dsc_0027-jpg.jpg

It's like ordinary grass seeds and it germinates very easy...

Seedlings look like this, as you can see the wind blew it into the moss and it germinates rapidly.
dsc_0095-jpg.jpg

But mind it's a quite light demanding plant to keep wet indoors and outdoors it isn't winterhardy, as soon as the roots freeze it will die.

When you get it, plant some outdoors in a sunny spot this summer and it will grow fast and flower and carry tons of seeds you can collect around August and have an unlimited supply of cyperus forever.

dsc_0027-jpg.jpg

It's like ordinary grass seeds and it germinates very easy...

Seedlings look like this, as you can see the wind blew it into the moss and it germinates rapidly.
dsc_0095-jpg.jpg

But mind it's a quite light demanding plant to keep wet indoors and outdoors it isn't winterhardy, as soon as the roots freeze it will die.
That’s good info thank you zozo!

Lowered the water level to feed the fish and thought I’d snap a pic.
The moss is the only one collecting dirt and has to be vacuumed every time at water change ...all other plants look great.

Added some of the MC later on so it still has to transition...it seems to me (although not 100% sure) that the Monte Carlo grabs onto the porous lava rock with its roots pretty tightly.

Maybe that’s not the case with smooth rock but that’s at least what I noticed.
597D9950-0835-43A9-BCF4-AEA95A303BF6.jpeg

DOOA neo glass air is in...kids are excited:)
Will start a new journal.
This will be interesting...
CD3BDCDB-77BA-42D1-841F-3C4741334236.jpeg

Last edited:
DOOA neo glass air is in...kids are excited:)

I love how we use kids as a perfectly legitimate and reasonable excuse to convince the better half to somehow squeeze another tank into the house! I would be lying if I said I have never done this before :D:D:D

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.....keep up the good work.

I love how we use kids as a perfectly legitimate and reasonable excuse to convince the better half to somehow squeeze another tank into the house! I would be lying if I said I have never done this before :D:D:D

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.....keep up the good work.
I totally agree with everything you said lol
Although in my defense they really enjoy this little one .:)
My 60P is 5ft up in the wall ...They usually just stop for a second, look at the fish and move on. My 6 year old has been bugging me for a while now to get her a tank and the quarantine has opened up the perfect opportunity:rolleyes:

Unfortunately it was too much work keeping the Aquasoil out of the sand with the high flow and all the amano shrimp digging and moving it left and right.
Sand came out, filled in with new Amazonia and dwarf hairgrass , Monte Carlo , mini pellia on the rocks and more pinnatifida on the wood branches.
Along with the sand I took out the piece of wood that didn’t really go with the flow of the rocks. Should make maintenance a little easier and opened up the flow a little as well...
That’s it for now!
B37DD64E-D667-48BC-A944-8AD6096684F5.jpeg

Pinnatifida has been trimmed once already since it grows super fast.
Need to keep it in check or else it’ll shadow everything underneath...
MC carpet started to fill in nicely...the one on the rocks is out of control.
Needle leaf hygro put out large root system and now really took off...
Had a small co2 leak at one of the connections that was giving me inconsistent bubble count.
Fixed that and at the same time refilled co2 cylinder now all is well.
7D490B68-936D-48DC-A1A9-C62C330AC729.jpeg

Unfortunately it was too much work keeping the Aquasoil out of the sand with the high flow and all the amano shrimp digging and moving it left and right.
Sand is best without Amano shrimp - or if you must add them, wait for plants to grow in (especially carpet plants along soil/sand transition zones); Corydoras can also wreak havoc with soil/sand (as can any substrate sifting or tunneling fish)
Flow - at least this can be manipulated :cool:

While the initial hardscape was stunning, this is now a substantially more livestock friendly tank :)

Stay on top of the MC on rocks, otherwise it may lift completely as the lower layers deteriorate from lack of light/flow (though it’s easy enough to separate out the best bits for replanting)

H araguaia is looking grand :)

Definitely stay on top of H pinnatifida trimming - it will reluctantly “train”

I grow MMC the same way and I find it to grow very very fast too, needs weekly trimming!

is the vivid full blast?

as for the hygrophila just trim the top very often, it will then start to grow smaller and slower ;)

Thanks guys!
@alto yes I’m much happier with the soil than the sand. Will definitely trim the MC at the next water change.
@CooKieS , do you trim just the bulk of it that’s growing on top of itself or the trailing bits hanging down as well?
I don’t have the vivid I’ve got the Twinstar 600s hung 7 inches above water.

Back